Prologue

Weak, tiny, and miserable. That's what runts were considered to be. Nothing but wolves powerless and hopeless in a pack.

Mothers were forced to abandon the runts of the litter in some packs. Wolves believed that if runts were in their packs, they would put the pack down, making survival even harder than it already was. This was one of those packs.

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾

Deep within a den in the center of the pack's territory, Hannah lay with her five newborn pups huddled around her for warmth. A gentle smile spread across her muzzle as she gazed over her healthy pups.

Suddenly, her smile faded as her eyes rested on a small white bundle of fur curled up next to its siblings.

A runt.

The youngest pup in the litter was a runt.

Austin, her mate whose fur was black in contrast with her fur and darker than a piece of coal, walked over towards her, giving Hannah a proud grin. She gave him a worried expression back. She turned her gaze back to the pups. Austin followed her gaze until he realized what was among them.

"I'm taking her to the Barren Desert. I'll leave in a little bit," the pure white wolf said as tears streamed down her muzzle. Austin nuzzled against her, trying to comfort her, but losing a pup was not an easy task to do or forget.