Chapter 20

Elizabeth, who was now nineteen, stood in her kitchen. She had a party hat on, it was of Winnie the Pooh design with a big one on it. She had her baby girl perched on her hip, Eli was chewing on her fist, which had some of her mother's hair tangled in it. She was placing the candle in the cake, it was a honey pot, like Winnie the Pooh's. Elizabeth reached up to softly grab her child's tiny chubby hand, "No, don't eat mommy's hair", she said, grabbing her hair and shaking it out.

Eli babbled, "Boo!"

Elizabeth giggled, "Boo! That's right Eli!"

The baby smiled at her mother, showing her single tooth in the bottom of her mouth, "Boo!"

Suddenly everyone came into the kitchen, Delilah holding up a camera and Adam holding a tiny little party hat. Elizabeth's family started off the singing. Adam snuck up towards the baby and quickly put the hat on. Eli yelled and tried to flick it off. Elizabeth glared, "Dude, now she's gonna cry", she said quickly taking the hat off and soothing her daughter.

"Happy birthday dear Eli, happy birthday to you!"

Elizabeth bent down towards the cake and softly blew out the candle. She then sliced a small piece, holding Eli's hand on the knife and letting Adam take over so the knife didn't touch the bottom. She lifted it towards the baby when it was placed on a plate. Eli dug her hand into it and waved it towards her mother, who opened her mouth and let her baby shove her cakey hand inside. Delilah giggled as Eli picked up another piece and held it out to her mom. Elizabeth angled the small hand towards the owner's face. Eli giggled and flapped her hand around. "My little baby is already one!"

"Boo!"

The group laughed at the baby who continued to shove cake into her mother's face. Despite the happy occasion, there was an undertone of sadness. There was one birthday cake, not two. Would Annalise let Adam put a hat on her, or would she be like her sister and cry? They ignored the what if's and instead watched as Elizabeth and Delilah spun the baby around, and threw her in the air a little. They listened to the little giggle that immediately put smiles on their faces and brightened their days. 

Eli was a happy baby, and they would never know if her sister would've been the same.