Chapter 9

Raven

"So, how do I look?" I ask, spinning around. The girls squeal.

"Amazing," Kori tells me.

"Like the goddess you are," Rose yells from the table filled with snacks.  I snort.

"That's the one. Rose, it's your turn," Jinx says in a sing song voice. Rose drops the doughnut she's eating, but I use my magic to catch it before it hits the ground. No need to waste a perfectly good doughnut.

"Nope. Not happening," Rose says.

"You don't have a choice," Jinx tell her.

"I sure as hell do."

"You know both me and Jinx are magic, right?" I ask. "I don't even have to touch you to put you in the dress."

"Then do it. I dare you," she challenges. I snap, mostly for dramatic effect, and the next thing she knows is her wearing a dress. It's the same as mine, but tailored to her figure, the sleeveless dress showing off her muscles. Jinx whistles appreciatively.

"Jaybird's going to have a heart attack when he sees you," Cass tells Rose, who turns pink.

"Hey, why didn't you say that to Rae Rae?" she asks.

"Because I have absolutely no love life," I remind her, smirking.

"Hey, what about Damian?" Steph interrupts. I snort.

"Not my type."

"So you do have a type. See, sugar plum, I told you she did," Harley practically yells, taking another shot. Ivy rolls her eyes.

"Then what is your type?" Cass asks carefully. I shrug.

"How should I know?"

"So, you don't have a type, which means everyone is your type, which means Damian is your type," Donna says.

"I'm done with all of this shit. It's Jinx's wedding. Focus," I order, snapping again. Both mine and Rose's dresses disappear, and we're in our normal clothes. Then  a sharp pain in my fingertips interrupt my thoughts. I look down, and see the tips of my fingers turning black.

I've found you, daughter, a voice yells. No one else hears it, based on their lack of reaction.

"Uh, I'm going to the bathroom," I say, running towards the hallway. I know it looks suspicious, but it's better than the alternative. Thank god the dress has gloves. I close the door and run to the sink. I start scrubbing my hands even though I know it's not going to do anything.

You're weak, Trigon snarls at me.

"If you're expecting someone weak, you're wrong," I hiss. I am not weak. I am not.

You think you can stand against a god? Foolish child, it murmurs.

"You're not a god. You're just a psycho with some powers and an oversized ego," I growl.

You will be punished for disrespecting me, he snarls.

"Oh, shut up. Can't you see I'm a little busy? You know, with my friend's wedding and all?" I hiss.

Really? The disbelief in his tone is very clear. I'm  threatening to kill you, and you're complaining because I'm doing it now? You're a fool.

"Oh, shut up. At least I'm not threatening a teenage girl," I tell him.

You are no normal teenage girl, Raven. You are my daughter, he growls.

"Only biologically," I say, splashing my face. Time to put on the mask I've worked so hard to perfect.