CHAPTER EIGHT, critics & confidence

(delaney's outfit for the first part of the chapter)

"Here's Kenneth Kreen's review of Austin's concert." Trish announced, handing Ally the magazine with the review in it. The friend group (minus Austin) was in Sonic Boom that morning, looking at a review that was written by a critic who had seen Austin's latest concert. Delaney hated critics, she had her fair share of dealing with them and knew that most were biased and unfair. But she was curious to read his thoughts and hoped it wasn't anything bad about Austin.

"'Austin Moon's performance was tired and uninspired. It lacked the spectacle of a superstar performer. Frankly, I've had more fun plucking my nose hairs.'" Ally read off, causing the others to share a grimaced look. They all felt so bad about the review. The concert had been amazing and Austin deserved a good review. This was just disappointing. "If Austin sees this review, it'll tear him apart. We'd better hide these magazines. He'll be here any minute." Her friends nod in agreement and quickly get into action. They run over to the cart full of the magazines.

"Wow, these are a lot of magazines." Finn commented.

"How many did you buy?" Ally asked Trish.

"All of them." Trish admitted.

"Let's go." Ally said urgently and began pushing the cart the same time as Trish and Dez. Suddenly it bumped into the front desk and tipped over, causing all the magazines to fall out. They all rush to pick them up and hide them before Austin could get there. Some were hidden in the piano bench, others were hidden under pillows on a bench, Dez even hid some in his pants.

"Here he comes! Act natural." Dez announced after spotting Austin walking closer to the store. Finn picked up the cart along with Trish and the two quickly pushed that off to the side before joining the others in front of the front desk, doing their best to act natural when in reality, they were all panicking.

"Yo." Ally greeted with her hand on her hip and her other leaning against the counter.

"'Sup, buddy?" Trish said, putting her hand behind her head awkwardly.

"Hey, good looking." Dez spoke with a nervous smile.

Delaney and Finn stood near each other by the trio, her elbow leaned on Finn's shoulder as they both smile nervously at Austin. Austin raised his eyebrows at the group, looking at them suspiciously. He didn't know what was going on, but something was up.

"Hey, guys." He chuckles and walks further into the store, tossing his empty soda can into the recycle bin near the door. Delaney was always impressed when he easily got it in the bin even without looking. "Bam!" He grins, outstretching his hands. "Oh, the new issue of 'Miami Weekly'." Austin pointed out a magazine on the counter, causing the group to snap their heads over to the one they missed to hide. "I have been looking all over for one."

"No!" Dez shouts, rushing over to him to rip the magazine in half. "No...One does the word jumble before me." He added after Austin sent him a confused look. He then looked at the others with a smile and gave them a thumbs up. Delaney chuckled and rolled her eyes at Dez.