Chapter 5: Shadows

The Kunar homeworld of Yara offered little in the form of beauty and comfort. Jagged mountains and flowing volcanoes cut into the planet's otherwise smooth, flint-colored surface. Small specks of Zanathum metal ore dotted the land. A small charcoal moon hung above the distance.

The Dendrac system, and Yara especially, had been bustling with life once, foliage and creatures as far as one could see. Nothing was the same after the War. The Kunar of the past had committed many sins, and now their descendants paid the price.

Among the many physical reminders was the Privarium, a large black obelisk that erupted from the earth and metal like a rotted tree born of the planet's mass. It housed everything for the Kunar: a capital city, schools, military bases, and research stations. Above all else, though, and at the very top of the Privarium itself sat the chambers of the Regime.

It was here that Ravig watched as the clouds writhed like snakes of ashen matter. His attention had drifted, as it often did during Regime meetings. Words snapped back into coherency.

"And that is exactly why you need to ensure that no more information gets out. We cannot risk a full-scale revelation of all that we've worked towards," High Lord Regal spat at the group assembled before him. His face was full of disdain, his golden claws dug deep into the Zanthum throne that he sat on.

"My Lord, I assure you that -" Rana, Overseer of Intelligence, began to respond.

"Assure me of nothing, Rana. This failure is on your hands so I want nothing but absolute execution of my command," Regal fumed.

He lurched forward in his seat, the sway of his opulent robes causing the embedded jewels to sparkle.

"I have been summoned by the rest of the High Prime to explain my case. Do you know what that's like, forced to bow before those filthy Chyl and Humans?"

'I know a thing or two about bowing before filth,' Ravig thought, careful not to let his face betray his thoughts.

He looked at the rest of the Regime. Their stoicism meant they most likely thought the same.

Rana stepped forward, the lank of her face and body giving her the appearance of a sharpened saber.

"It will be done, my Lord."

Regal craned his neck toward Ravig, his most-trusted advisor.

"Make sure that Rana takes care of this, or you will take care of her."

Rhessian, the jester-like Overseer of Special Operations, let out a cackle from his place in line. His crooked posture and vibrant mask betrayed a truly frightening individual.

"Yes, I'm sure Ravig would relish the chance to take care of Rana," he quipped.

Regal paid no attention to the words of the off-kilter Overseer. Instead, he turned his attention to the older Kunar hunched over and rambling quietly to himself.

"Any update on our project, Rickus?"

The Overseer of Research jumped at the mention of his name. He looked up immediately, eyes covered by a rounded violet band.

"Completion timeline estimated one solar year, Lord Regal."

Regal finally stood. Ornate etchings trickled from his chestplate down his robes and into the billowing cape behind him. He took one step, then another, the jangling of his bejeweled armor filling the air. A sense of anger blazed around him.

"I will say this once, and only once," He shouted, bladed finger pointed at his Overseers. "Take whatever resources you need and get your jobs done! Not in a year, not in days, but now!"