Chapter 25: Homecoming

Ravig rolled his shoulders back and stared out into the assembled soldiers underneath the Quantic Requiem. It was a large majority of the Kunar's forces, both ground troops and Reclaiments, that stood at attention and eagerly awaited their commands. Outside of the hanger bay, fighter ships buzzed around hastily like insects as they prepared for their next mission.

"Are you ready to take control of what's rightfully yours?" Rana inquired from his left side.

"It's not fully mine yet, but we're making progress," Regal responded. He turned to Rana, grabbed her hips and pulled her closer. His eyes connected with hers and he stroked her face with the back of his hand. She was the only thing that gave him life in an otherwise cold and lonely existence. For her, Ravig would burn down the universe. "I'll complete my part, you'll complete yours, and we'll meet back here to finish everything. Then, we'll start the next chapter in the Regime. Together."

Rana ran her fingers up Ravig's arm and interlaced them between his. "Just remember who's really in charge here."

Ravig leaned in closer and Rana mirrored the movement. A loud knock at the Zanathum door of the bridge stopped them before they could meet. Rana quickly separated and stepped back into a more formal position.

"Enter," Ravig growled as he unlocked the bridge door. The timing of the interruption was more than enough to ruin his mood. The door slid open and Rhug squeezed through.

"Forces ready," He muttered. "Need to leave."

He looked at Ravig and Rana, but said nothing else. Ever since Rhessian had died, Rhug had been noticeably more subdued. Ravig originally thought he would have to work hard to pull the monstrous Overseer to his team, but Rhug made the transition of his own accord. Ravig was sure the embarrassment Regal doled out had a hand in it as well.

"I trust you have everything in order?" Ravig asked Rana.

"Always," Rana replied succinctly.

Ravig nodded once in acknowledgement then followed Rhug out of the bridge and to the Requiem's lifts. The humongous humming disks dropped them down to the ship's engineering deck, a few turns away from the entry ramp. Ravig and Rhug walked in silence, but it didn't bother the former at all. There was no need to form a relationship with Rhug, just as he felt about the other Overseers save Rana. It was a waste of time. Ravig walked down the ramp and stopped at the mass of Kunar before him. Rhug halted diagonally behind him.

"Kunar, we are the weapons," Ravig shouted.

"For rule and Regime," They answered back in thunderous unison.

Ravig slipped his arms behind his back and paced. "What does it mean to be a weapon? To be a weapon is to be prepared. It is to be mentally and physically sharpened. It means that we must be ready to strike at a moment's notice and not care about the lives that we remove from this world. It is to be cold, calculated and unfeeling. This is the moment when we must follow such a mentality. What we are going to do leaves no space for doubt, no space for rebellion, and no space for weakness. If you are not wholly dedicated to the cause, step forward so that we may cull you from the force. I'm sure the grounds of Yara yearn for your sustenance."

He paused and extended out his hand. No one moved. "Then I take that as a sign that you are ready to do what is asked of you. You will be briefed by your section leaders on your various duties in this most pertinent assignment, but know that I will lead the charge myself this time. I will be fighting side by side with all of you. There are no ranks. There are no specializations. This time, we are all Kunar. I know I am not alone when I say that I am sick of dealing with the pompous nature of the Chyl and the ineptitude of the Humans. We will be the most feared species in the galaxy once more. We will reclaim what was taken from us over a century ago. We are the phantoms of a bygone era come back for revenge, the death throes of a government on its way out of this world. Our forces shall return the punishment doled out to us tenfold. For rule over the weak! For a Regime unyielding and undefeated!"