Chapter 12: Blue Sky

Diah ran her hands along the pristine white walls of the Aurora Nova. A small icy chill graced her fingertips. The ship purred lightly around her.
It was clear that the Nova had been well-loved. As Kirrik showed them around the entry hatch and dining quarters, she had noticed there wasn't a single speck of dirt to be found. It was also more spacious than it looked from the outside. The dining quarters could comfortably hold up to eight and Kirrik had mentioned multiple bunking spaces aboard. She wondered why two people would need so much space or, rather, what they were hiding within it.

As soon as they had walked aboard the ship, Imi had retreated to the Nova's cockpit to pilot it off of Tovarro. There was a sense of ease that settled into Diah's mind as they shot out of the Arrival Docks and into space. It was nice to finally get off of Tovarro and be on the way home. It was even nicer to not have to deal with Imi. Diah didn't trust her at all. There was something off about Imi that she couldn't quite place.
Diah yawned, the first that she could recall since the Kunar had kidnapped her. Exhaustion perforated her bones. Her normally perfect posture had relaxed a little.

Kirrik continued his tour, blatering excitedly about the Nova, but Diah had already checked out of the conversation. She turned her head to the left and saw Sky listening intently to every word. She was fascinated and asking questions about mechanical processes and electronic pathways and so much more Diah didn't comprehend.

She blinked and sluggishly turned her head toward the right. Zaius had fallen asleep sitting on one of the couches in the corner. His head was tilted back, mouth agape as he snored.

'I figured he would be exhausted too,' Diah thought. 'We never really had a chance to rest.'

Diah yawned again. Sleep sounded like the best thing ever at the moment. She crossed over to Zaius and gently turned his head into a more comfortable position. His face was warm and smooth in her hands. She felt eyes staring into her.

"You going to answer my question?" Diah heard Kirrik ask behind her. She turned to face him and Sky.

"Sorry, what did you ask?" She questioned.

"He was asking if we're okay sharing a room," Sky answered in his place.

Diah nodded in response. Anything was fine as long as she got rest, plus it would give her a chance to learn more about her new Uvari friend. She looked back toward Zaius.

"Is he going to be okay out here?" She asked Kirrik, pointing her thumb back at Zaius. She didn't know if it was better to move him to his own space or just let him rest where he could.

"Let him rest," Kirrik responded. "I'll be up in the cockpit with Imi, so he'll be on his own out here."

Sky placed her hand on Diah's shoulder.

"He'll be alright, Diah," She reassured. The whites of the walls helped highlight the cybernetic optics in her eyes. Diah wondered how much they improved her vision, or if they gave her the ability to see in different wavelengths. She wrote it down on her mental list of questions to ask.

"You two come on. I'll tell Imi to set a course for Vensha, but let's get you settled in," Kirrik said, gesturing for them to follow.

_____________________________________

The quarters Kirrik led them to was tucked in the back corner of the Nova, close to the engines. Vibrations rumbled through the walls, but Diah was surprised at how much the paneling of the Nova managed to muffle them. It added an ambience to the room instead of a distraction. A metal bunk bed was tucked on the left side, gray and orange crates on the right.

Sky had settled in by a large porthole nestled near the crates. She was looking solemnly at the stars outside, hands resting in her lap.

Diah watched her from the top bunk, feet hanging over the side. She wanted to say something but didn't know how to start the conversation. Did she start with her list of questions or let the conversation flow naturally? Her feet swung back and forth nervously.