Chapter 7: Atometry

The lights of the Atometry flashed vibrant shades of orange and blue in pulsating rhythm with the music emanating from within. A crowd had gathered outside to the right of the club's entrance, laughing and cawing at their own conversation. To the left, a wide array of shops stretched further down the sections of rusted, dingy pathways. Cold droplets fell like rain from the ceiling above, residue derived from the heat of Tovarro's engineering deck mixed with the cooler inner air of the Underside.

Diah and Zaius stopped outside and took a moment to relax. Zaius watched as Diah looked around the unfamiliar space, cautiously keeping track of the people around her. He could sense it too - Something felt off, but he didn't see anyone or anything that raised any alarms. Zaius knew that Gen spent a lot of time working on keeping the Atometry safe, however, and trusted things would be fine. He waved to grab her attention.

"We should be ok. The security around the Atometry is top-tier," He said while pointing out the cameras around the front and shock pylons on the roof.

"I can't shake the feeling something is wrong or just off," She explained. She looked around again, but still found nothing.

Zaius motioned his hand forward in response. Hopefully it was just nerves.

"Let's get inside. At least there we have some cover and some help."

Zaius led Diah toward the Atometry where a large Terric bouncer met them at the door.

"Gen's been looking for you," He said to Zaius, waving them in.

Zaius gave him a nod and thanks in return. As they entered, the music within swelled to an almost overwhelming level. Lights strobed and fog wafted in every direction. A sizable crowd had gathered on the kaleidoscopic dance floor that pulsed underneath them. That familiar comfort of home settled in.

Zaius guided Diah around the dance floor and toward the V.I.P. section in the club's corner. Gen has always closed off a space just for him to hang around and patron watch. He turned back and chuckled lightly at Diah. She looked around fervidly with an expression of wonder and awe, mouth agape and a beaming smile. He could sense she had never seen anything as chaotic or energetic as the Atometry before. It reminded him of when he first entered its doors a decade ago.

"This is where you live?" Diah yelled over syncopated rhythms. "How do you even get any sleep?"

"You learn to adjust," Zaius said coolly.

*****

Sky waved her hands violently from the other side of the dance floor. She had been waiting for a while, intently checking every one of the club's entrants in hopes it was Zaius. As she caught sight of him come through, her spirits had immediately lifted and a sense of relief washed through her. She didn't expect him to come with someone else though.

'What's up with the bubblegum beauty queen?' She thought as she pushed her way through the dancing crowd. It wasn't like Zaius to bring people back, and the girl was obviously a High Mark Chyl no matter how much she tried to hide it under his jacket. Her poise and ignorant air was a dead giveaway at any distance. The whole situation was curious.

Sky stopped in the middle of the thrashing crowd.

'He gave her his jacket,' She realized. Her mouth tilted into a wicked smirk. There was definitely something more to the situation, and she was determined to discover what it was. 'I'm going to give him so much hell over this.'

Before she could move forward, a rough hand tightly grasped her wrist.

"Not like you to come partying with the people," the bronze Ixr clubgoer said. His breath was rancid from drinking. The Ixr's grip tightened as she tried to shake it off.