Chapter 10: Hunted (Act I Finale)

A small pulse of electricity ran from the trigger of Kirrik's solar pistol through the internal circuitry and into the ball of a firing chamber held in the center of the weapon. The miniature sun within absorbed it hungrily and spun into a whirlwind of flame. Increased chamber pressure compressed and shot the flame forward into a concentrated orange blast. The whole process took less than a millisecond.

*****

On the opposite end of the pistol, Zaius had already begun summoning his Kanushin into his gauntleted hand. From the moment the man started talking, Zaius knew he had to move. The nerves of his body served as circuitry of its own as pulsing ripples of Kanutic energy blazed downward and coalesced into a singular green blast. It was absorbed into the gauntlet, compressed into a force three times greater and shot back out with enough pressure to move Zaius slightly to the left. Two perfectly-timed milliseconds.

The solar bullet seared across Zaius' stomach, cauterizing the wound as it went. It continued through his jacket, leaving a burning hole, and dinging into the metal wall behind him before dissipating into a large scorch mark.

"Man, I like this jacket," Zaius groaned as he threw his left fist toward the man's jaw. His blonde ponytail whipped as he stepped backward.

'This isn't good,' Zaius thought as he swung again. 'This man's obviously a Hunter.'

The Hunter smashed his pistol arm up into Zaius' elbow to knock the punch away and sent a booted kick into Zaius' ribs. The force propelled him backwards into the ground. He spun and tumbled, dazed as the Hunter followed up with a punch of his own.

*****

Kirrik pulled back for another but the Rogue dropped and swept his leg. The two traded blows evenly, the Rogue's speed matching Kirrik's force as they pressed further into the alleyway. Kirrik moved back, aimed his pistol and fired four shots. The Rogue weaved between the bullets and used the momentum to launch over Kirrik, planting a solid kick in his back. Kirrik grunted from the sudden hit as his prey launched forward. He took off toward Qivera's main square.

"You're not going anywhere, killer!" Kirrik yelled, shooting a red energy chain from his hand. It wrapped around the Rogue's waist with a sizzle.

'He's just a kid but he's stupid and dangerous as hell,' Kirrik thought.

Kirrik yanked hard with his right hand and pulled him back into the metal wall with a hollow thud. Kirrik looped the chain around his arm, dragging the Rogue closer with each rotation. Kirrik noted the panic on his face as the chain compressed his ribcage.

"I didn't kill Gen," He shouted at Kirrik. "He was like a father to me. He took me in!"

Kirrik scoffed and whipped the chain down, forcing Gen's killer into the ground. The kid was really starting to grate on his nerves. Nothing but lies flowed out of his mouth.

"I haven't seen or heard of you once," Kirrik argued. "So how do I know you're telling the truth?"

*****

"I don't know who the hell you are either!" Zaius retorted. The situation was only getting worse. He thought the Hunter might listen, especially if he mentioned Gen, but it only seemed to make him angrier. His thoughts went to Sky and Diah, wondering if they were okay. He had to come up with a new plan and gain some distance. He had to get back to them.

Zaius relaxed his body, letting the Hunter drag him further. He took the moment to focus and channeled his Kanushin into both arms. The gauntlets clicked and whirred as the energy stored.

Zaius rolled as the Hunter yanked a final time. The gauntlets shot out a pulse of energy, this time aimed at the metal wall next to them. It hit with a resounding clang, like a bell hit by a mallet, followed by the screech of tearing metal. The Hunter grabbed his ears and shouted in pain as the sounds crashed against his eardrums. The chain dissolved as he stepped back. Zaius wasted no time and jumped through the hole left from the explosion.