Chapter 15: Mechanica

Kirrik could tell by the looks on the other's faces that they were less than pleased by Imi's revelation. He never liked to reveal her state as an android unless the situation desperately called for it. There were only two people that knew Imi's secret in the entire galaxy, and one of them was no longer alive. The Kunar gave them no choice, however. It was either to use Imi and her skills to their advantage or end up as scorch marks on an asteroid.

"Are there any other secrets you two have been hiding?" Diah accused, her voice dripping in distrust.

"No one knows about Imi except us, and I would prefer it to stay that way," Kirrik stated.

Diah crossed her arms and gave them both a doubtful glare. Imi responded by removing her jacket and using it to cover her exposed mechanics. She clicked slightly with every move.

"Sounds like that ice got deep in there," Kirrik said, leaning toward her.

"I can fix it," Imi replied. "I'll need some time alone in my quarters."

She looked at each of the Nova's three passengers.

"I'll answer any questions you have when I return. For now, just keep your thoughts to yourself."

Imi took off into the hallway and down the right pathway. Kirrik tipped an imaginary hat to the trio and followed after her. She moved with an unusual sense of urgency.

"You okay?" Kirrik called after her as they reached the cockpit.

Imi stopped and tilted her head toward him but kept her body facing forward. Her bangs fell in front of her eyes again. Kirrik thought she looked oddly shameful. He reached forward and put his hand on her shoulder. She pulled away from it.

"What's the status of the Nova?" She deflected.

"Uh, two engines on the right down," Kirrik recalled. "Low power from ion cannon usage. Comms took a hit in one of the blasts. I'd say we're running at about forty-percent efficiency, if that."

Imi closed her eyes and stood silent for a brief second.

"So that means we can make it another fifteen, maybe twenty parsecs if we're lucky," She calculated. Her eyes opened. "Nowhere near enough to get to Vensha. Is there a place nearby we can repair?"

Kirrik hesitated. He knew the system they were in like the back of his hand, but he didn't want to admit it. The ghosts of the past seemed to haunt every corner, every planet, every star. He scratched his hand instinctively.

"Yeah, I can get us a place," He finally responded. "There's someone I know on Locarian, about five 'secs out from where we are. A friend."

"The junk planet?" Imi queried. "I guess, if it gets us back on track."

She continued her walk down the hallway and into the room at the end. Kirrik stood and watched, unsure of what Imi might be thinking. He reached his hand out again, wanting to call out to her, then ran it along his hair.

'Hopefully the next conversation goes better,' He thought.
_________________________________

Imi let the door behind her close with a click before letting out a muted groan. Her hands shook in frustration. She stepped forward to the center of her room and sat in a bolted-down red chair. It whirred and ticked as two small needle-tipped appendages began grafting new synthetic skin across her.

She pictured the look Diah had given her. Something about it set off every anger synapse in her system. It reeked of disgust and judgment.

'Typical, given her background,' Imi fumed. 'I saved her and not even so much as a thanks.'