Chapter 16: All That Glitters

The sun splashed across the golden rooftops of Vensha and cast the city in a fiery radiance. Hues of yellow and orange filled the sky, a spotlight on the capitol city that could be seen from the furthest reaches of the atmosphere. There was no city like it anywhere in the Atania galaxy. While Flightline was a symbol of change, Vensha was the image of prosperity.

Towering above the city on the one-hundred-and-thirty-second floor of the congressional building, the Alis adjourned their latest meeting. Wyrna stared at her peers from her seat at the front of the chamber with malice in her eyes. Chimes rang around the room to bring an end to the day's deeds, but Wyrna still had more to take care of.

She stood and moved swiftly through the other members of the Alis, ignoring their questions and poorly executed means of conversation. She didn't want to entertain anyone, much less hear their pitiful expressions of sorrow over Diah's disappearance. She had played her cards right so far, but there were still a few she kept close to her chest. The lift in the hallway dinged as she pushed the button and the doors slid open. Wyrna took a step forward but a meaty green arm dropped in front of her.

"Don't think I didn't see you rushing by," Counselor Gallard teased. The boom in his voice was especially robust. "Not even a goodbye for a dear friend?"

Wyrna cringed inside. The idea of Gallard's friendship was sickening. A tingle of irritation crept across her skin and she felt the poison of her Kanushin claw through her veins, begging for a release.

'Soon,' She thought.

Wyrna plastered her usual fake smile across her face and looked up toward the High Prime representative. His toothy grin grated her nerves. That, and his constant self-sacrificing attitude.

"Why Gallard, of course!" She exclaimed. "I've been so wrapped up in Diah's disappearance that my mind is, unfortunately, not quite present."

"Wyrna, please," Gallard said with a hushed tone. "I can't even begin to imagine how you must feel. I'm worried sick every day that passes without any word from her, but that probably isn't even a fraction of your pain."

'I worry more about what happens if that brat gets back home,' Wyrna commented to herself.

"I actually wanted to come by and say that the Alis and I give our regards," He continued. "We are thankful you've managed to lead such productive sessions despite your current concerns. Senator Mazza has also agreed to postpone any new motions or votes until she has been found."

Wyrna gritted her teeth.

"Please tell Councilman Mazza I appreciate the gesture," She forced out. Her cheeks began to hurt from her smile. She wagged her finger to emphasize her point. "This is no time to stop our plans for expansion, however. We must continue pressing forward before Solstice shows itself again."

Gallard took a step back and straightened his posture.

"Yes about that," He responded. "I've had my assistant inform the rest of the Alis that current plans for the expansion of Vensha specifically are halted until further notice. I wanted to notify you personally."

Wyrna dropped her fake smile. Her blood began to boil. The expansion was the last of the efforts she needed to completely remove the Low Marks' presence from their great city.

"May I ask why, exactly?" She seethed.

"I will be traveling back to Flightline immediately to guide discussions on this heinous new act," Gallard revealed. "If we are to truly reshape into three distinct branches, I want to ensure that we align ourselves with the right support. The Uvari, perhaps. Or the Quillan. Regardless, I will be gone for quite some time and would prefer to be present when we resume talks about expansion."