~ Chapter 1 ~

~ 1996 ~ 

Her eyes drifted over the gardens that lined the path towards the main building. Small brown birds danced between the bush using the leaves and branches as a disguise. The raindrops navigated the web of leaves, some creeping towards the ground while others glistened in the late morning sun. "Miss Sachiko, please try to pay attention." The honey words of her carer took her attention away from her beautiful surroundings. The older woman gave her a stern look as the girl made no effort to show emotion; Sachiko glanced up at the family in front of her. 

The adults of all various shapes and heights stood over her as though she was the pastry at a bakery. They all had lighter hair types, directly contrasting with the black-haired girl in front of them. In Western culture, she could be considered a demon with her black eyes, a welcomed feature in the Jujutsu world. Her eyes drifted down as she scoped out her surroundings. They stopped as they connected with bright blue ones. A boy, only a few years older than herself, stood behind the man who was the head and positioned closest to the girl. He had white hair that only made his eyes stand out more. They shone with curiosity at the sight of the girl. 

The head walked towards the girl and knelt before her, placing his hand on her shoulder. "Sachiko, we have waited for you for a long time and are very glad you have come to live with us." He said, Sachiko's face faltered for a second as she glanced up at her carer confused. The man followed her gaze and stood up, facing the carer, "She is unaware of this arrangement?" 

"It is the head of the Chiyo family's belief that informing the children will cause more stress than necessary and that they are unable to comprehend it. The Chiyos are produced for their curse technique, not their intelligence and the children a slower learners, which makes them easier to manipulate." The carer stated her rehearsed lines. The Head nodded, unsure, before looking down at the girl again. He offered her a kind smile which she did not return, instead her eyes went back to the boy. 

"That is my son, Satoru. You both will get to know each other in time." He stated Satoru and Sachiko glanced up at him before looking back at each other. The head and the carer shared a few more words before she started to walk away. Sachiko followed her movements before turning back to the Head. He stared down at her with an unreadable gaze; he placed his hand on her shoulder and guided her inside, following behind the other members of the family. "Sachiko, you are now a member of the Gojo clan, and here, we do not treat our children as though they are nothing. If you need anything, please ask." 

"Thank you," She says politely, her face still unfaltering. The head sighed slightly as he gestured for a woman to come forward. Sachiko looked up at her. She had kind green eyes and light brown hair pulled back into a bun. She knelt in front of Sachiko and brushed a loose hair from her face, which tickled the girl. A small giggle came from her as she tilted her chin, but she quickly corrected herself. 

"My name is Yui. I will be your caretaker. It is a pleasure to meet you, Sachiko; you have a beautiful smile," Yui says with a sweet, quiet voice. Sachiko's face falters as her lip wobbles a bit. Suddenly, tears start rolling down her face, startling her head while Yui rubs the girl's shoulders. "Oh my dear, you're a bit confused, aren't you?" 

"She said I had to be on my good behaviour, or you would send me back, and I don't want to go back." She cried as she wrapped her arms around the woman and buried her face into her chest. Yui brushed her hand over the girl's head trying to soothe the girl, she questioned why she didn't want to go back. "They were mean. I would get in trouble for trying to play with the other kids or in the gardens. I like gardens. They're my favourite place in the whole wide world!" 

"We are very nice I promise and we will not be sending you back, you are very important to us and we have been waiting for you for a long time." The head said, kneeling; he glanced back at his son, who stood with his mother, watching the scene, confused. He gestured for him to come over, but the boy shook his head and stepped behind his mother. The girl looked up at the older man and tears welded in her black eyes, his heart broke at the sight. "Sachiko, you will never return to them. Now let's go see your new room. I think you'll like it a lot."