~ Chapter 29 ~

~2007~

Sachiko smiled brightly as Yu ran around the corner, holding the wallet above his head. Nanami and Ijichi sat silently watching the pair. It was Yu's turn to buy their drinks, but he had left his wallet in the classroom. Sachiko didn't have hers either, and neither of the other two boys volunteered to pay, forcing him to return to retrieve it. 

"You are amazing, Yu; I'll have orange!" She said, pointing at the can. Yu pressed the buttons, and the drink rolled out of the machine. He handed the drink over happily while the other two put their orders in. She took a long sip of the cold drink and let out a long sigh. They all spread out against the benches in the shade until the third-years came and forced their way onto the seats. 

Satoru lifted Sachiko's head and sat down, placing it back on his lap as he requested a drink. Yu looked at him helplessly as the other two third-years asked for a drink, too. Sachiko smirked and told Satoru to pay for his own drink, which earned a light flick to the forehead. It had been over six months since the Chiyo incident took place; since Sachiko took revenge for her lost family members, she felt the weight that had been growing heavier lift, and it hadn't returned since. Her friends had noticed the shift in her moods; she was always generally cheerful, but a lighter aura radiated from her. 

It was a belief from those who knew of her outburst towards the killer that the curse user had just been used to release years of tension, anger and grief that had built up over the girl's short life despite being the same people with the addition of first-year Kiyotaka Ijichi, the group dynamics changed greatly. 

Satoru Gojo had become the strongest, and his exponential growth in abilities reflected that; it was rare now that Satoru and Suguru went on missions together. More often than not, they were both on solo missions, only seeing each other in passing. Shoko and Sachiko had spoken multiple times about their growing worry for Suguru, who seemed increasingly fatigued. 

The now second-years, Yu Haibara, Kento Nanami, and Sachiko Chiyo, were on a mission to increase their Grade Status. Sachiko was in first place after being nominated by a few sorcerers she had worked with on missions, with Nanami and Yu not too far behind. Sachiko tried to act humble, stating that her gain was due to nepotism. Despite their strong friendships, everyone could see the new sense of urgency and competitiveness that drove them all to improve. 

Then there were Satoru and Sachiko. Despite their troubles in the last year, their relationship was the strongest it had ever been. They stopped focusing on their wedding and the future; their choice was to allow their relationship to give them the brief windows of teenagehood they needed to keep the sanity they had left. It also helped that Fumiko Chiyo had completely cut off contact with the girl and the Gojo family, which was a blessing in Sachiko's eyes.

Sachiko's hand reached up as she used her thumb to wipe off a mark on Satoru's chin. A small smile came to his face as he engulfed her hand with his own and placed a ginger kiss on it. Sachiko's face heated up as she let out a strained laugh, trying not to let the squeal that had risen in her throat out. 

"Sachiko, when is your Grade 1 trial?" Yu asked excitingly. Sachiko had been accompanying Atsuya Kusakabe on a few missions. Their approaches were very different. While Sachiko was powerful enough that she had always run headfirst into the mission, Atsuya was all about sitting back and waiting. His desire for self-preservation was his motivation and his lack of an innate technique, but Sachiko didn't mind; she was learning a new approach. 

"Atsuya hasn't said anything about it yet. I think he wants me to learn more patience or something along those lines, but all five of our missions have worked out, so it should come up soon..." she answered, her words drifting off at the end as she sat up and crossed her legs on the bench. The two boys were excited to have one of them go the grade up finally. Mei Mei, of all people, had just nominated Nanami, but he still needed a few more to go to Semi-first grade. "Anyway, I'll be sent on it when I am. I can't do anything in the meantime..." 

"Wow, he really is rubbing off on you," Suguru laughed. Sachiko glanced at him and smiled, but her eyebrows frowned at the lack of depth in his humour. She glanced at Satoru, who hadn't taken notice of it. So she sank into the window and leant her head on her fiancee's shoulder. Suguru's eyes met hers, and she felt a warmth from him that had been lacking lately, "You'll do great, Sachiko; you've been the talk of the Jujutsu world lately. The Chiyo who tortured a man and took her revenge, throwing her humanity away... We need more passion like that to save the weak."  

The group went silent, and Satoru sat up at his comment as Suguru offered a sickeningly sweet smile. Sachiko's stomach dropped as she looked away. Satoru was ready to argue with him, but she cut him off. "You're right, Suguru; I will do great because I'm strong and willing to do anything to protect or avenge those I love, but the weak can defend themselves. It's the only way they will get stronger." 

"That's why I like you, Sachiko. You are your own woman. What do they say? Not your monkey, not your circus..." he said as Sachiko stood up. Yu and Nanami followed his lead and decided it was best to start heading to their next class. She glanced at Satoru and gave him a small smile as she brushed her hand across his knee. 

Nanami and Yu eyed each other off before they went in for the attack. The threesome had been sent out to practice their combat skills—it was just a ploy so their teacher could leave early. Sachiko lay under their normal tree, her head against the ground as she watched the grass grow and die under her fingertips. She recalled how straining this technique was when she was a little girl, but now, she could produce a large tree in the blink of an eye. 

Yu and Nanami approached her, exhausted and panting from their third round, "Geto sure was out of sorts today." Yu said as he took a sip out of his drink bottle. Sachiko nodded as she rolled onto her back, placing her hands neatly under her head. "Are you okay after what he said? It was an asshole move..." 

"Yeah, I'm all good. He's been different for a while now. I think his missions are taking a toll on him more than normal. Satoru keeps saying he's all good, but both are in denial." Sachiko explains, tilting her head so she could see them standing over her. Yu flops down next to her as Nanami stares down at her; she raises an eyebrow before letting out a long sigh. "My go? You're keen today, Kento." 

"I hate it when you switch up your name," he comments as he offers her a hand. She laughs and taps his shoulder playfully. As they get ready to fight, Sachiko's phone starts ringing, earning a groan from all three. She pulls it out and reluctantly answers, "Oh, Atsuya, sir... A mission? Tomorrow? The train station? They have assistants to drive us... Okay, that's fine. We will take the train. I'll see you tomorrow." 

"Another mission?" Nanami asks, rising from his stance. She nods, and a bright smile breaks out on her face; his eyes lighten up, and a small smile of his own comes to his face. "Your solo mission?" 

"Yeah!" She shouts excitedly as she runs at him and throws herself at him. He looks at her, disgruntled, as he tries to push her off, but she holds onto him tightly as Yu engulfs them in a hug. "I love you guys!" 

"Shut up, Sachi..." Nanami grunts as the pair hanging off him squishes his arms to his sides.