~ Chapter 6 ~

Yui came up to the gates and her stomach felt emptier as she saw all the workers that had gathered outside the house. Some prayed while others stood silently as they waited outside The sun was beginning to light up the sky. In almost every other household in the country, children were waking up to find presents under the tree. Yui awoke to a call from the Head asking her to come home because two Assassins were able to get into Sachiko's room. 

Everyone glanced at Yui as she walked stoically towards the front entrance, they held their hands out touching the woman's shoulder as she passed. Someone opened the door for her and her eyes fell onto Satoru who was sitting in the corner a glare that could kill etched onto his face. His mother stood above him while the Head was nowhere to be seen, "Yui, I'm sorry but Renho was killed. She protected Sachiko." A maid said as she gestured for the woman to follow the girl towards Sachiko's room. 

The bodies hadn't been moved yet, Renho laid with a sheet over her while the two men were left undisturbed. They both had parts of a branch through their heads that had snapped off, beside all the puddles was a maple bonsai that had an abnormally large branch. "They think she was using her feet, they held her down. One of them was crushing her chest and hea-" 

"I don't want to hear anymore, I want to see her," Yui said turning away from the scene. She wandered back into the hallway, and the Head was now with his family. He was bent down next to Satoru telling him something, as tears rolled down the boy's face. Yui watched on unsure what to think, she had never seen him cry before she didn't know if it was bad or good news. Satoru glanced at Yui and the head followed his gaze, he offered the woman a small smile and Yui felt relief washed over her. The Head came over and placed his hand on her shoulder, "Satoru can see her first,"

"No, you. The doctor only lets one person in at a time excluding her guards, Satoru is still very angry. Once you're done, we'll let him in." He says, Yui glances at the boy. He just stared at the wall, he was good at hiding his true emotions yet Sachiko never had an issue with seeing through him. 

Yui walked into her room, the doctor was at the end of the bed reading through his notes while a nurse was picking up some bloody clothes from the floor. Sachiko was asleep on the bed, her arms were wrapped up, and her chest and face were bruised. Yui started to tear up as she gently took the girl's hand. "They held her down, and one of the men put a lot of pressure on her head and chest. She's lucky she doesn't have a brain injury. She has a few broken ribs from the pressure and the CPR, they didn't hit anything vital so she will be okay. They attempted to kill her using a cursed sword to cut her forearms, it was hard to stop the bleeding but we did manage. A reserve curse user is currently on their way here to stabilise her, but it will be a long recovery. Don't expect her to wake up today." The doctor said before leaving the room, she could hear him explaining the same things to the group waiting outside. Yui rested her head on the girl's shoulder, as she asked whatever god was out there to help her stay alive. 

Satoru had finally calmed down outside, waiting for his time to be with Sachiko. He understood Yui needed to be with her, she was her only parental figure, but Satoru was scared that Sachiko would just drop dead and the last time he would have seen her was bloody and scared. She had called for him, he heard her the first time but he thought she was arguing with Renho as she had done in the past. That man who attacked was someone she was uncomfortable with yet he didn't do anything to get him removed. He wandered into Sachiko's room the same way he entered last night, thankfully they had finally removed the bodies. All that was left was the blood stains and the broken items across the floor, the place felt foreign. 

He glanced around and spotted a picture frame that had been knocked over. The glass had a crack through it and the frame had broken but he could still see the picture clearly. The picture of them when they went to see the cherry blossoms, he opened the back to take the photo out. Two dried cherry blossoms fell out and onto the floor, he bent over and picked them up. Doing so he noticed the writing on the back of the photo, 

Merry Christmas, Satoru! 

This was one of the happiest days of my life so far, and of course, you were by my side. I hope you like this and find some comfort in having it with you, though I'm sure you'll be too busy to miss me. I don't mind because I know that I'll be there soon enough to show you up. I will miss you in the meantime, a lot. 

Love, Sachi 

Satoru smiles as he puts the photo and flowers in his pocket. With all the commotion he had forgotten it was Christmas day. His father appears in the doorway and gestures for him to follow. Yui was now in the hallway, she didn't look as pale anymore and was telling someone she was going to go rest. As Satoru passed she placed her hand on his shoulder, and they shared a knowing look before she left the house. 

The room Sachiko had been moved into was Yui's, it was the closest empty room. Nobody dared to touch Renho's yet as her children were travelling to come collect her items. Satoru looked at Sachiko, she looked so peaceful now despite the wraps that held her body together. She was still receiving blood transfusions, but as she was stable they wanted to slow it down to reduce the chances of her body going into shock again. He sat down in the seat next to her, the bruises on her face and chest were already starting to darken in colour. "Those men are so lucky their death was quick, I would have made them suffer for what they did to you." He said quietly venom laced in his voice. He brushed the hair away from her face and cupped the side of her head as he admired her. "You had us, me so worried Sachi. I told you I need you, I can't do this alone."

"Satoru Gojo worried about someone other than himself? Has hell frozen over?" She whispered, her voice was hoarse but it was definitely hers. Satoru smiled as she pried her own eyes open, he nodded and she gave me a small smile in return. The nurse who sat at the back of the room had stepped out to inform the doctor that she had woken up. She moved her head so she could see him more, "I killed those two men didn't I?" 

"Yeah, Sachi you did." He said he was unsure how she would take that news. She just nodded and muttered a quick 'good'. He rubbed her hand and she stared at him, she had dark bags under her eyes and she was still quite pale. It was an improvement from her grey face last night moments before she died right in front of him. It was a memory that was burnt into his brain, it continued to play over and over like a broken record. He rested his head on her stomach, she lifted her arm and brushed his hair back. 

"Thank you for coming to me Satoru," She said he muttered an always as they quieted down into silence. Soon both teenagers had fallen asleep exhausted after the devastating night. 

Groans could be heard as Yui helped the girl walk into the lounge room, Sachiko glanced around and noticed the room was set up as though it was Christmas day. It had been 2 weeks since the attack on her life and the New Year had already begun, she missed out on the holiday season recovering. Sachiko smiled brightly at the tree that looked like it had been decorated by a 2-year-old, "Satoru, the tree looks great."

"How you could tell it was me?" He said with a bright smile, she just laughed as she walked over to the chair. She was still weak despite the three sessions with the reverse curse user, it tired her out and she spent most of her time in bed the last couple of weeks. Satoru always made sure she was entertained by bringing her movies or making sure she got out into the garden. When she was out there surrounded by the plants, it made her so much happier than being couped up in her room all day.

As she sat down, Satoru came over with a small wrapped box. She smiled up at him as she took it and opened it, it was a jewellery box. "Thank you, your Christmas present was in my room. I was going to give it to you but-" Satoru just shook his head as he told her to open his present, she gave a curt nod before opening up the box. It was a silver necklace with a blue flower pendant, a bright smile broke out on her face before she stood up and hugged Satoru. He looked at her surprised before hugging her back, "Thank you, I love it."

"I thought you would, and I got your present Sachi. It's by my bed already." He says she squeezes him tighter before she uses him to lower herself back down into the seat. The others exchanged gifts, and Sachiko ended up with some exotic seeds and a few books to add to her collection. As everyone dispersed to attend to their normal duties, Satoru held his hand out for Sachiko to take. Yui watched from behind them as Satoru helped her out into the garden and they sat on the bench together laughing about what the other said. It was beautiful watching young people fall in love.