[002] there's something wrong with courtney

                                  Nancy Morrison knew that there was something wrong with her older sister, Courtney.

                                  They were only a year apart and yet Courtney acted like she was ten years older. Courtney acted that way with pretty much everyone. She always thought that she was better than everyone else, even her own family. Nancy blamed their mom for that. After their dad left when Courtney was five and Nancy was four, her mom needed someone to focus her attention on. And that was her oldest daughter, the most beautiful and charming one. Courtney was the oldest and the most special in their mother's eyes. She could do no wrong, even if there was something very, very wrong with Courtney.

                                  Nancy had known this for years. But the first time she had seen Courtney's dark side was when Courtney was seven. There had been a stray cat wandering around the neighborhood, one Nancy often fed. Courtney would sometimes feed the cat too, but she'd watch most times. Nancy didn't think anything was odd about it. She was only a kid; how could she have known?

                                 And then, one day, Nancy noticed that the cat hadn't shown up to the patio like before. That was a first. Nancy looked around the neighborhood for the cat but she couldn't find it. But she realized that she didn't need to look far at all. Nancy went to the backyard and noticed that something about her mom's garden seemed off. Her mom's roses were a little messy, as though someone had been rummaging through them. So Nancy let her curiosity get the best of her and she dug around in the dirt until she saw the corpse of that stray cat.