A Foreign Encounter

Your father was a man of high status, a wealthy man who had no obstacles when it came to his fortune. Of course, he has your safety as his top priority, as well as being known to spoil you rottenly.

Though you had previous guards who worked for you, this will be no exception to when your last one quit his job, after he could barely save you from the assassins. Nonetheless, you were not surprised, as you heard from one of your maids that the head man of the mansion hired a new one but this time, it was not whom you have ever expected.

Whispers and other murmurs from the servants crept up the hallways as footsteps echoed through the walls. The halls were filled with paintings from well-known artists, as well as lavish decors imported from the other side of the world, such as the vase your father brought impulsively. However, you paid no mind to it as your hands delicately grip the handle, swinging it open to reveal an office with your father sitting behind the desk that was scattered with unknown paperwork.

Your gaze scanned the room, but there was nothing foreign about it, with the same books and documents placed all in one pile in the corner. Yet, your gaze met your father as his hand continued to scribble unknown words into a sheet of paper. Probably just some business management, you thought.

Your father, the man who raised you dearly after your mother passed away when you were so young due to unknown reasons; though, never seemed to notice just how much you took over his appearance from his facial features that were now passed down to you. Silence filled the room until your attention was finally reciprocated by your father finally. "Come in sweetie, take a seat."

You took a few steps, not noticing a hint of any alteration from the room, and gently took a seat before having your attention fully towards your father. The sound of the wood creaking against the floor did not go unnoticed, as your mind became patient, waiting for the next words from your guardian to announce the new replacement, like the countless guards you had before. But he didn't, instead, he waited for your greetings to come first, before the main purpose of his time spent with you on a busy day.

"Good evening. Did the new replacement come today, Papa?"

No response, not even a smile or greeting back, but rather a long sigh that was given to you. A sudden heavy feeling swelled up in your chest, as silence crept up, with your heart pounding faster every second. He did not seem amused at all with such an ignorant reaction to your words. In fact, you are aware that finding a personal bodyguard was such a tedious process, due to the amount of candidates that he had to go through, let alone the decreasing amount whenever a replacement is needed.

However, you paid no mind to it due to the fact that they were usually, at most, incapable of ensuring your safety. Besides, it's not like you were constantly targeted by assassins on a daily basis when you're not even royalty yourself. Then, your father cleared his throat.

"As you may see, your previous bodyguard was fired after he failed to protect you.. I've only let him stay longer because it was your birthday of course, and the process is already bothersome. Although it has been a month since your birthday, I have indeed found you a new protector and I ensure that he will be your last one. I will no longer tolerate any insignificant attempt you make leading you to your own endangerment. Understood?" His voice was stern and not the gentle tone you've always known.

It wasn't even your fault to begin with whenever such incidents happen, but you aren't surprised at all, that such overprotectiveness was even more prominent in this circumstance.

"For that reason, I am confident to say that I managed to hire that soldier from the war as your new personal bodyguard. I will entrust him to you and make sure you're not in any sort of danger. Sweetheart, I know for sure you will get along with him after some time, just think of him as some sort of pet wherever you go."