Portrait on the Wall

The night felt cold again after Blade had casted another protection spell onto you. You were back alone in your room without company, with no servants to nag you, or not even a letter requesting for a meeting as well. Although, before the night had come to an end, you had requested a servant to retrieve the gown from the village Of course, you cannot personally request him to stay that night since it was his own personal matter after all. After all, you were wanting for some company due to all of the servants going to bed for the night.

Nonetheless, you were having difficulties sleeping that night due to your thoughts in regards to your marriage in the future. It was only a matter of time before you will meet this person whom you will have to spend the rest of your life with.

The morning breeze kissed your face as you were lying down on your soft mattress; leaving you to stare up at the ceiling of your room, there was nothing more left to do other than close your eyes to rest. You were alone in the quiet peacefulness of your room: the rustling leaves of the trees swayed back and forth, resulting in a relaxing atmosphere itself. As seconds passed by, your chest continued to rise up and down, breathing in the fresh air from outside.

You were lost in your thoughts in that moment, seemingly wondering how long it will take before you sit up; but the moment before you could move a muscle, a hand softly brushed the side of your cheek in a meticulous yet benevolent manner.

Instinctively, your eyes gradually open towards what has caught your attention. Blade had stood next to you beside the bed before his hand deliberately pulled away. You stared at him with the blinding sunlight shining brightly behind him, leaving a gloomy cast of shadow in front of you. He only provided you with his lifeless expression staring at you, but you did not move an inch before rubbing your eyes awake.

"It seems that you have woken up earlier than expected." His voice was dull, a tone you were most familiar with.

It was so early in the morning that you noticed the servant who delivered your everyday meals had not arrived yet. Without anything else in your mind, you could not help but slightly glance towards Blade to analyse his current state. It had only been a few days ago that he had started to personally investigate; however, it has only been now that the lack of rest is catching up to him. Furthermore, your observance towards Blade noticed the darkness around his eyes had seemingly worsened.

Despite his face displaying itself in fatigue, his clothes were not ruined this time; perhaps, Blade had already covered himself up upon entering your room during your peaceful slumber. Sitting by the edge of the bed, Blade took a step back; providing you time to gather your thoughts.

"How was the investigation?" You finally spoke out.

"Nothing much."

You knew that he was speaking of only the truth; however, you could not help but feel your curiosity swell up in your heart in regards to what must have happened. Blade displayed himself in a presentable manner in the current moment. Though, your eyes went towards the slight hint of red staining his cheek. Assumingly so, you thought to yourself that he had almost encountered that woman once more.

"Your servant should have come by now to deliver your meal," Blade said, wiping off the stain off his cheek. The tip of his gloved fingers rubbed the residue off each other before placing his hands back on his side.

"You should get changed instead," You replied back, standing up from your bed to approach the door. Your footsteps only came to a halt when a hand grabbed your wrist from behind in a delicate manner. It had grabbed your attention, turning your head to face Blade only for him to release your hand immediately the moment your eyes reciprocated his.