-1-

Book: Courage
Chapter 1
Word Count: 2139

Sat in her room, her knees pulled up to her chest with a book held in her arms, 11 year old Layla Lupin flipped the page, getting lost in the woods. That was until a tapping sound interrupted her. She tried to ignore it, continuing to read, but it continued.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap.

"Jesus Christ," Layla huffed, placing her book down after sliding her bookmark into it, and looked around for the source of the tapping. That was when she spotted a pretty owl perched on the ledge outside of her window, a letter in its beak. She suddenly grinned. "Is this what I think it is?!" She rushed over, swinging the window open and smiling at the owl. "You're a day late, owl. My 11th birthday was yesterday," she took the letter from the owl's beak, watching the owl fly away, and she quickly ripped open the letter. Her smile widened as she read the words, her eyes locking on the Hogwarts symbol.

"Dad!" Layla sprinted out of her room

"Dad!" Layla sprinted out of her room. "Dad! Dad!" She eventually found her father, Remus Lupin, in the study next door to her bedroom. He had rushed out of the door, worried. 

"Layla, what's wrong?"

"I got it!" Layla grinned, shoving the letter into his hand. Remus read the letter's contents before smiling.

"This is incredible, Lay. After your letter didn't arrive yesterday on your birthday, I was worrying you wouldn't be accepted."

"Me too," sighed Layla. "But I'm going to Hogwarts!"

"I'm proud of you. You'll love it there almost as much as I did," Remus pulled Layla into a hug. "Well, it's only December and school doesn't start for just under a year, but why don't we do some early school shopping in Diagon Alley tomorrow? I can do some Christmas shopping while I'm there."

"Okay!" Layla nodded excitedly. "Yay! I can't wait!"

---

As Remus and Layla walked through Diagon Alley after taking the floo network there, Layla read over the smaller letter that she had received with her Hogwarts letter, which held all of her supplies needed.

UNIFORM
First-year students will require:
1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)
Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags

SET BOOKS
All students should have a copy of each of the following:
The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1)by Miranda Goshawk
A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling
A Beginners' Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble