-63-

Book: Courage
Chapter 63
Word Count: 5554

"Layla!" A voice called as Layla was walking down the hall the next morning. She turned to see Hermione quickly walking towards her. "Hi, you were gone when the rest of us woke up this morning."

"Yeah, sorry. Just wanted some fresh air," said Layla with a shrug.

"Are you alright?" asked Hermione as the two of them headed towards breakfast. 'You look absolutely — Oh for heavens sake."

Hermione was staring at a notice board outside of the Great Hall, where a large new sign had been put up.

GALLONS OF GALLEONS!

Pocket money failing to keep pace with your outgoings? Like to earn a little extra gold?
Contact Fred and George Weasley, Gryffindor common room, for simple, part-time, virtually painless jobs.
(We regret that all work is undertaken at applicant's own risk.)

"They are the limit," said Hermione grimly, taking down the sign, which Fred and George had pinned up over a poster giving the date of the first Hogsmeade weekend, which was to be in October.

"I'll have to talk to them."

"Why?" said Layla. "Fred and George aren't doing any harm, 'Mione. Well, mostly."

"Because I'm a prefect," said Hermione, as they entered the Great Hall together. "It's up to me and Ron to stop this kind of thing!"

"You do you, I guess," Layla chuckled, spotting Harry and Ron Ron waving the girls over. Hermione turned to shoot Layla a sympathetic look. "Go, 'Mione. It's fine. Harry might not be my friend anymore, but that doesn't mean he has to stop being yours."

"Okay, thanks, Lay," Hermione sighed. "I'll save you a seat in class after we get our timetables."

She then hurried off to sit with Harry and Ron. Layla smiled when she saw Ginny waving her over, heading over to sit with her.

"Hey, Gin."

"Hey, Lay."

But just then, a tall girl with long braided hair had marched up to Layla and Ginny, turning straight to Layla.

"Hi, Angelina," Layla greeted.

"Hi," she said briskly, "good summer?" And without waiting for an answer, "Listen, I've been made Gryffindor Quidditch Captain."

"Nice one," said Layla; she suspected Angelina's pep talks might not be as long-winded as Oliver Wood's had been, which could only be an improvement.

"Yeah, well, we need a new Keeper now Oliver's left. Tryouts are on Friday at five o'clock and I want the whole team there, all right? Then we can see how the new person'll fit in."

"Okay," said Layla.

Angelina smiled at her and departed.

"I'd forgotten Wood had left," said Ginny. "The team'll be very different."

"I guess," said Layla. "He was a good Keeper."

"Still, it won't hurt to have some new blood, will it?" said Ginny.

With a whoosh and a clatter, hundreds of owls came soaring in through the upper windows. They descended all over the Hall, bringing letters and packages to their owners and showering the breakfasters with droplets of water; it was clearly raining hard outside.

Apollo landed in front of Layla, gifting her some white chocolate bon bons from Remus as usual, and two letters from both Remus and Sirius.

Layla,
Hey, honey. I hope you have a good first day.
I will see you at Christmas, but if you decide to stay at school, just let me know. I hope you do choose to come home though. Sirius and I miss you.
Also, let me know how your first day of classes go.
With love,
Dad x