-57-

Book: Courage
Chapter 57
Word Count: 5493

Layla sat with Harry, Ron, and Hermione, while Harry told them about yet another strange thing that had happened to him. When he had collapsed, he had some kind of dream, where Voldemort had received news which pleased him. Apparently Wormtail, who had been there, had made some kind of 'blunder' which had been solved by someone dying.

But that hadn't been what Harry was focusing on. He had headed to Dumbledore's office, but just before he had been let in, he had overheard an argument between Fudge, Moody, and Dumbledore about the disappearances of Crouch and Bertha Jorkins. While they went to the place where Crouch had disappeared, Harry had been left alone in the office and found a pensieve, which was a basin where you could store and rewatch memories. He, being Harry Potter, decided to investigate what it was and ended up watching two memories of different trials on different days.

The first was Karkaroff's trial where he had given names to the Ministry in exchange for his release. The second was the trial of Ludo Bagman, of all people, who had been convicted of leaking Ministry secrets to the Death Eaters, oblivious to the fact that the person he was talking to was Voldemort's spy. What was most extraordinary was one of the people Karkaroff named as a Death Eater: Snape.

Layla was sitting with her head in her hands, thinking over everything they knew and trying to make sense of it all.

"Dumbledore reckons You-Know-Who's getting stronger again as well?" Ron whispered. He stared into the common room fire and shivered slightly, even though the evening was warm.

"And he trusts Snape? He really trusts Snape, even though he knows he was a Death Eater?" Hermione questioned.

"Yes," said Harry.

"Rita Skeeter," Layla suddenly muttered.

"How can you be worrying about her now?" said Ron, in utter disbelief.

"I'm not worrying about her," Layla said. "I'm just thinking... I think Rita Skeeter reported his trial. She knew he'd passed information to the Death Eaters. And Winky too, remember. Mr Crouch would have been furious he got off, he would have talked about it at home."

"Yeah, but Bagman didn't pass information on purpose, did he?" said Ron.

Layla shrugged.

"And Fudge reckons Madame Maxime attacked Crouch?" Ron said, turning back to Harry.

"Yeah," said Harry, "but he's only saying that because Crouch disappeared near the Beauxbatons carriage."

"We never thought of her, did we?" said Ron slowly. "Mind you, she's definitely got giant blood, and she doesn't want to admit it—"

"Of course she doesn't," said Hermione sharply. "Look what happened to Hagrid when Rita found out about his mother. Look at Fudge, jumping to conclusions about her, just because she's part giant. Who needs that sort of prejudice? I'd probably say I had big bones if I knew that's what I'd get for telling the truth."

"Wait, what time is it?" Layla suddenly asked. Hermione looked at her watch.

"9:30pm. Why?"

"I promised Ced I'd help him practice a little more before the task tomorrow!" Layla panicked, jumping to her feet and grabbing her bag. "Good luck tomorrow, Harry. You'll do amazing!"

Layla quickly kissed Harry's cheek for good luck, causing him to blush in surprise, before she turned and hurried out.

"Wait! But curfew starts in half an hour! You won't be back in time!" Hermione called after her as Layla hurried out of the portrait.