-9-

Book: Courage
Chapter 9
Word Count: 1926

Soon enough, Layla was back in the Gryffindor common room, talking to Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Unfortunately, Harry and Ron hadn't found out anything about Nicolas Flamel, and the four of them were back to skimming through books for ten minutes during their breaks. They had almost given up hope of ever finding Flamel in a library book. Harry had even less time than the other three, because Quidditch practice had started again.

One day in the common room, Layla and Ron were playing wizard's chess and Hermione was sat nearby with a book in her hands, when Harry walked into the common room after Quidditch practice.

"Don't talk to me for a moment," said Ron when Harry sat down next to him, "I need to concentrate."

Layla looked at Harry as Ron was making his move, and she caught sight of Harry's expression.

"Are you okay, Harry? What's the matter?"

Speaking quietly so that no one else would hear, Harry told the other three about Snape's sudden, sinister desire to be a Quidditch referee.

"Don't play," said Hermione at once.

"Say you're ill," said Ron.

"Pretend to break your leg," Layla suggested.

"Really break your leg," said Ron.

"I can't," said Harry. "There isn't a reserve Seeker. If I back out, Gryffindor can't play at all."

At that moment Neville toppled into the common room. How he had managed to climb through the portrait hole was anyone's guess, because his legs had been stuck together with what they recognized at once as the Leg-Locker Curse. He must have had to bunny hop all the way up to Gryffindor tower.

Everyone fell over laughing except Layla and Hermione, who exchanged concerned looks as Hermione leapt up and performed the countercurse. Neville's legs sprang apart and he got to his feet, trembling.

"What happened?" Layla asked him as she and Hermione led him over to sit with Harry and Ron.

"Malfoy," said Neville shakily. "I met him outside the library. He said he'd been looking for someone to practice that on."

"Go to Professor McGonagall!" Hermione urged Neville. "Report him!"

Neville shook his head.

"I don't want more trouble," he mumbled.

"You've got to stand up to him, Neville!" said Ron. "He's used to walking all over people, but that's no reason to lie down in front of him and make it easier."

"There's no need to tell me I'm not brave enough to be in Gryffindor, Malfoy's already done that," Neville choked out.

Harry handed a chocolate frog to Neville, who looked as though he might cry.

"You're worth twelve of Malfoy," Layla said. "The Sorting Hat chose you for Gryffindor, didn't it? And where's Malfoy? In stinking Slytherin."

Neville's lips twitched in a weak smile as he unwrapped the frog that Harry had given him.

"Thanks, Layla... I think I'll go to bed.... D'you want the card, Harry? You collect them, don't you?"

As Neville walked away, Harry looked at the Famous Wizard card that Neville handed him.

"Dumbledore again," he said, "He was the first one I ever—"

He gasped. He stared at the back of the card. Then he looked up at Ron, Layla, and Hermione.