-11-

Book: Courage
Chapter 11
Word Count: 3988

The following morning, Layla told her friends the story about how she and Cedric were caught on the Quidditch pitch after curfew and were given a detention. In return, much to Layla's relief, Hermione told her that she, Harry, and Neville were also given detention. Hermione didn't go into much detail about why the detention was given, mainly because it looked like she was deeply ashamed, so Layla didn't question it. She was just happy that Hermione, Harry, and Neville would be in detention with her. But her mood slightly dampened when she heard that apparently Draco was also given detention...

At breakfast, Layla was opening her usual package of white chocolate exploding bon bons from her dad when a note fell in front of her. She opened it.

I'm sorry for getting you in trouble yesterday.
I really wasn't expecting us to get caught.
It's all my fault and I'm so so sorry.
I promise I'll make it up to you when I can!
From Cedric

Layla looked around until she saw Cedric staring at her from the Hufflepuff table. She shot him a smile and mouthed to him, 'it's okay, you're forgiven'. Layla was never the type of girl to hold grudges. She knew that Cedric never meant for last night to end the way it did. They just should have been more careful.

Moments later, another note fell in front of her at the breakfast table, but the same note also fell in front of Harry, Hermione, and Neville. All of them read:

Your detention will take place at eleven o'clock tonight. Meet Mr Filch in the entrance hall.
Prof. M. McGonagall

At eleven o'clock that night, Harry, Layla, and Hermione said good-bye to Ron in the common room and went down to the entrance hall with Neville. Filch was already there — and so was Draco.

"Follow me," said Filch, lighting a lamp and leading them outside. "I bet you'll think twice about breaking a school rule again, won't you, eh?" he said, leering at them. "Oh yes... hard work and pain are the best teachers if you ask me... it's just a pity they let the old punishments die out... hang you by your wrists from the ceiling for a few days, I've got the chains still in my office, keep 'em well oiled in case they're ever needed. Right, off we go, and don't think of running off, now, it'll be worse for you if you do."

They marched off across the dark grounds. Neville kept sniffing so Layla grabbed his hand, giving it a small squeeze and shooting Neville a reassuring smile. When Neville smiled back and calmed down a little, Layla let go of his hand.

Layla wondered what their punishment was going to be. It must be something really horrible, or Filch wouldn't be sounding so delighted.

The moon was bright, but clouds scudding across it kept throwing them into darkness. Ahead, Layla could see the lighted windows of Hagrid's hut. Then they heard a distant shout.

"Is that you, Filch? Hurry up, I want ter get started."

Layla's heart rose; if they were going to be working with Hagrid it wouldn't be so bad. His relief must have showed in her face, because Filch said, "I suppose you think you'll be enjoying yourself with that oaf? Well, think again, girl — it's into the forest you're going and I'm much mistaken if you'll all come out in one piece."

At this, Neville let out a little moan, and Draco stopped dead in his tracks.

"The forest?" he repeated, and he didn't sound quite as cool as usual. "We can't go in there at night — there's all sorts of things in there — werewolves, I heard."

"That's your problem, isn't it?" said Filch, his voice cracking with glee. "Should've thought of them werewolves before you got in trouble, shouldn't you?"