-7-

Book: Courage
Chapter 7
Word Count: 2498

As they entered November, the weather turned very cold. The mountains around the school became icy gray and the lake like chilled steel. Every morning the ground was covered in frost. Hagrid could be seen from the upstairs windows defrosting broomsticks on the Quidditch field, bundled up in a long moleskin overcoat, rabbit fur gloves, and enormous beaverskin boots.

The Quidditch season had begun. On Saturday, the match of Gryffindor versus Slytherin would take place. Layla was very excited to watch her first Quidditch match. Maybe she could take note of some important moves and things to practice with later. If Gryffindor won, they would move up into second place in the house championship.

Hermione had become a bit more relaxed about breaking rules since Harry and Ron had saved her and Layla from the mountain troll, and she was much nicer for it. The day before the first Quidditch match of the year, the four of them were out in the freezing courtyard during break, and Hermione had conjured them up a bright blue fire that could be carried around in a jam jar. They were standing with their backs to it, getting warm, when Snape crossed the yard. Layla noticed at once that Snape was limping. Harry, Layla, Ron, and Hermione moved closer together to block the fire from view; they were sure it wouldn't be allowed. Unfortunately, something about their guilty faces caught Snape's eye. He limped over. He hadn't seen the fire, but he seemed to be looking for a reason to tell them off anyway.

"What's that you've got there, Potter?"

A book was in Harry's hand. It was Quidditch Through the Ages. Harry showed him.

"Library books are not to be taken outside the school," said Snape. "Give it to me. Five points from Gryffindor."

"He's just made that rule up," Layla muttered angrily as Snape limped away.

"Wonder what's wrong with his leg?" wondered Harry.

"Dunno, but I hope it's really hurting him," said Ron bitterly.

The Gryffindor common room was very noisy that evening. Harry, Layla, Ron, and Hermione sat together next to a window. Hermione was checking Harry and Ron's Charms homework for them while Layla was curled up with a book in her hand.

Getting up, Harry told Ron, Layla, and Hermione he was going to ask Snape if he could have his Quidditch Through the Ages book back.

"Better you than me," they all said together.

As Ron and Hermione conversed over the charms homework, with Hermione occasionally correcting a few things in Ron's homework, Layla stayed quiet and kept to her book. She'd read an entire chapter before Harry had returned.

"Did you get it?" Ron asked as Harry joined them.

"What's the matter?" wondered Layla once she noticed Harry's expression.

In a low whisper, Harry told them what he'd seen when he'd gone to speak to Snape. Apparently, Snape and Filch were speaking about the three-headed dog and apparently how impossible it was to get past them. Harry had left when Snape saw him and shouted at him.

"You know what this means?" Harry finished breathlessly. "He tried to get past that three-headed dog! He's after whatever it's guarding! And I'd bet my broomstick he let that troll in, to make a diversion!"

Hermione's eyes were wide.

"No — he wouldn't," she said. "I know he's not very nice, but he wouldn't try and steal something Dumbledore was keeping safe."

"Honestly, Hermione, you think all teachers are saints or something," snapped Ron. "I'm with Harry. I wouldn't put anything past Snape."

"But what's he after?" Layla chimed in, closing her book. "What's that dog guarding?"