-74-

Book: Courage
Chapter 74
Word Count: 6596

It was the first day of the Easter holidays, meaning there were only six weeks left until exams.

The weather grew breezier, brighter and warmer as the Easter holidays passed, but Layla, along with the rest of the fifth- and seventh-years, was trapped inside, revising, traipsing back and forth to the library.

Mrs Weasley sent Layla a large Easter egg during the holidays, and as much as Layla absolutely adored Mrs Weasley for remembering every year, chocolate was the last thing she wanted, so she simply gave the Easter egg to a second year boy she saw in the common room.

As though to underline the importance of their upcoming examinations, a batch of pamphlets, leaflets and notices concerning various wizarding careers appeared on the tables in Gryffindor Tower shortly before the end of the holidays, along with yet another notice on the board, which read:

CAREERS ADVICE

All fifth-years are required to attend a short meeting with their Head of House during the first week of the summer term to discuss
their future careers. Times of individual appointments are listed below.

Layla looked down the list and found that she was expected in Professor McGonagall's office at half four on Tuesday. She and the other fifth-years spent a considerable part of the final weekend of the Easter break reading all the careers information that had been left there for their perusal.

On Tuesday, Layla finished her last class of the day before heading off to meet Professor McGonagall. Layla knocked on the door and then peaked her head in.

"Am I late?"

"Not at all, Miss Lupin. Come in," McGonagall said briskly, but as she spoke, somebody else sniffed from the corner. Layla looked round.

Professor Umbridge was sitting there, a clipboard on her knee, a fussy little pie-frill around her neck and a small, horribly smug smile on her face.

"Sit down, Miss Lupin," said Professor McGonagall tersely. Her hands shook slightly as she shuffled the many pamphlets littering her desk.

Layla sat down with her back to Umbridge and did her best to pretend she could not hear the scratching of Umbridge's quill on her clipboard.

"Well, Miss Lupin, this meeting is to talk over any career ideas you might have, and to help you decide which subjects you should continue into the sixth and seventh years," said Professor McGonagall. "Have you had any thoughts about what you would like to do after you leave Hogwarts?"

"Well, I mean, I've always hoped that I would one day be a professor," Layla mumbled. She was finding the scratching noise from behind her very distracting.

"Okay, good. Of course, some wizarding schools accept professors with little qualifications, and others accept professors with plenty," said Professor McGonagall, extracting a small, dark leaflet from under the mass on her desk and opening it. "For example, if you applied to teach here and there is a spot open, it is very likely that you would get the job with or without qualifications. However, if you intend to week at, say, Durmstrang, you would need at least four NEWTs, and nothing under 'Exceeds Expectations' grade. It may not be a very difficult career path, Miss Lupin, but if you wish to become a professor as I am certain you will get there, you must be dedicated and prepared."

At this moment, Professor Umbridge gave a very tiny cough, as though she was trying to see how quietly she could do it. Professor McGonagall ignored her.

"You'll want to know which subjects you ought to take, I suppose?" she went on, talking a little louder than before. "What are you hoping to teach in the future?"