Chapter 16

Grace : 

As soon as Kai walks through the door, I rush into his embrace, wrapping my arms around his waist. His protective arms envelop me, and despite my older age and modest height at 5'4", he towers over me. He's only slightly shorter than Adrik, but that's beside the point.

"Are you okay?" Kai's voice is laced with concern as he holds me.

"Yeah," I respond, nodding frantically. It's comforting to have my younger brother here.

"You look pale. Is something wrong?" He worries about me as I lead him to our room.

"Period," I explain with a sigh.

"Did you have anything to eat?" Kai asks as we settle on the bed.

I nod. "Yeah, Adrik cooked pasta."

Kai's eyes widen in surprise. "He cooks?"

I nod again, sharing a small smile with my brother.

Kai's surprise is quickly replaced by a grin. "Surprisingly, huh? I guess he's full of hidden talents. So, how was it?"

Despite recognizing that his grin is forced, the smile he wears when he's around me is fake. I choose to overlook it. He's six years younger than me and my dear little brother. I'm well-acquainted with him, understanding that beneath his pretence, he still mourns the loss of our mother. Moreover, I'm aware of the qualities he shares with our father, no matter how much he tries to hide them. I've learned to look through them. It's not his fault; those traits are ingrained in him. However, I know that deep down, he is nothing like our father.

He may be different, but it doesn't alter anything. He's my brother, and I'd defend him with every fibre of my being. If anyone even tried to hurt him, it'd be the last time they hurt anyone.

I chuckle, pushing these thoughts away and feeling more at ease now that he is here. "It was good. I didn't expect it to be, but I was pleasantly surprised."

He eases back, casually draping his arms behind him on the bed. "Well, that's interesting. But remember, I'm the top cook in your book."

I chuckle, a warm feeling in my chest. "You'll always be my favourite."

Kai affectionately ruffles my hair before getting more serious. "Grace, we have to discuss it, you know?"

A swirl of emotions floods over me as I think about the reason for his visit. "Yes, I understand. Revenge is cold now, time to serve it," a painful reminder of my mother's tragic death tugging at my heart.

HEY! I KNOW THAT THIS CHAPTER IS ALSO NOT THAT BIG, BUT HERE IT IS. KINDLY VOTE AND COMMENT AND SHARE YOUR OPINION WITH ME, IT WOULD MEAN A LOT TO ME.

for spoilers follow liya__writes_ on Instagram.

- LIYA ( love you all )