CHAPTER 10 : FIRST KISS

I will stand by you...always...

I looked up at Annette upon hearing those calming words from her.

Our eyes dove into each other's and I captured those serene hazel-brown orbs of her with my light blue ones.

Her flawless face made my heart melt. Her beautiful eyes, serene features and plump but amazing lips which I wanted to be on mine.

I spotted her eyeing my lips and that made both is us slowly approach each other closer and closer until we evacuated the space between us. Our lips touched and her ones felt so cottony soft and smooth.

I was deliberately and soothingly enjoying the moment. But then something happened.

Suddenly she broke away from the kiss and started crying and whimpering. I tried to comfort her but she was trying to say something but couldn't.

"It's okay Annette it's okay... Take your time, okay? Please don't cry. You didn't do anything wrong! I was the one to kiss you, I'm sorry. I really am. Please don't cry..."

I tried to calm her down with me pleading and that seemed to work.

"It's not the ki- kiss Isa... It's not..." Annette tried to speak but failed.

"Then?" I asked her.

"It's not the kiss... Something just struck my mind and I don't know how am I going to manage it... How am I going to keep on with this... " She babbled apprehensively and was becoming anxious while panicking.

"Anne" I said as beautifully as possible to calm her down. She did.

"You don't need to worry so much okay? You can tell me if you want to, or not if you don't. You have no pressure. And about the kiss, it's gonna stay personal between us. No one's gonna know." I let the words out in a kind manner to let Anne calm her soul down, which would otherwise pop right out of her heart.

"My marriage has been fixed."

Those words seemed to shatter in front of me. Not because it was something that hurt me, but it was something I too was trying to hide till now.

"Same" I replied and Annette lifted her head up real fast with shock and surprise written on her face.

"Wha-"

"Yes... My mother also had fixed my marriage with some guy I don't know months ago when she was out of rehab. She thought it was necessary for me to get married because she was aware how much intoxicated she has become and would no longer be able to take care of me if I ever needed."

I took a long pause and agreed with myself to continue on seeing the inquisitive worried face of Anne.

"I could obviously take care of myself but before I could even have a single word about the marriage with my mother, she was taken to rehab again. One of the servants told me about all that because my mother had instructed her to do so.

I too was very heartbroken at her sudden decision but understood the condition in which she was."

I paused and looked at Anne who was now looking down with a mixture of emotions on her face.

"I can absolutely cancel this marriage whenever I want though." I said and upon hearing that, Annette's face glowed up but right after, it also faded away.

"Either way I cannot do anything anyways. I'm helpless. No matter how much protest I show, none of them are going to be granted. No matter what, they will forcefully get me married. I'm so so sorry." Annette disclosed her ambivalence to me.

"Well, let's see what we can do..." I said to her thinking about closing the matter for now.

"You know what, I think I'm gonna leave. It's late anyways." Annette said quickly and started to hurry but I stopped her.

"Wait wait wait..." I said and her actions stopped and she looked up at me.

"What?"

"Even if we cannot do anything, we can atleast know about each other more right? After all we are friends?..." I told her and she agreed.

"Yeah...so what would you like to know?" Annette questioned politely while forcing a smile on her face.

"Um... Let's first know who you are fixed to get married with... What's his name? I hope it's a 'he' because it's a forced marriage."

"Hmm... Well yeah he is a 'he' and his name is Gourab. He's from India."

"Oh really? What a coincidence!"

"What coincidence?"

"The guy my marriage was fixed with is also Indian."

"What? Wow..."

"Yeah really... He even came today but left long ago."

"Oh... Is it that guy you were talking to near the door?"

"Um... Oh yeah yeah, you noticed?"

"Yeah... What's his name?"

"Keshav"