Chapter 17

Adrik : 

"Drop the plan," Jeremy stated firmly, his voice more serious than I'd ever heard.

"I won't, and I don't want to discuss it," I replied, burying myself in my phone as memories of that night came rushing back.

Age 12 :

"Adrik, can we play now?" Isa asked, her giggles filling the room as she tugged on my arm. Isa, my six-year-old sister, could be a handful. She's Papa's favourite, and no matter how many times Mama scolds him for spoiling her, he won't stop.

I can't even say no to my little sister. If Papa doesn't give her what she wants, I'll persuade him because denying her is too hard.

"Isa, let's eat dinner first, and then we can play," I replied, lifting her in my arms as she wrapped hers around my neck.

As we entered the room, I spotted Papa and Mama sharing a kiss. They're the best couple ever, deeply in love. I will also love my future wife just like Papa loves Mama.

When Mama noticed us, she pushed Papa away and took Isa in her arms. She held my pinkie finger, guiding us to our seats.

Papa asked Isa with a smile, "Where's my little princess?" Isa giggled as she settled on his lap.

"Papa, we'll play after dinner," Isa said, eager for her favourite pasta.

"Papa, can we go hunting tomorrow?" I asked, a big grin on my face. We'd gone hunting earlier today, and I had managed to kill a deer all by myself. Papa was proud of me.

"Of course, Adrik. Princess, you know Adrik killed a deer all on his own today," Papa proudly told Mama, his grin wide.

"I'm so proud of you, sweetie," Mama said with love in her eyes.

I will also have a family when I grow up.

We continued eating, and sharing jokes when Papa's phone rang. It was Asher Uncle, Papa's best friend and my favorite uncle.

"What?" Papa's face contorted in horror as he listened to Asher Uncle. "Okay, come as soon as you can," Papa said, ending the call.

"We're under attack," Papa declared, heading for the living room fireplace and retrieving three guns from there.

"Dante, the kids," Mom exclaimed, her eyes filled with horror, tears threatening to spill.

"Princess, I won't let anything happen to you or the kids. I'll protect you with my life," Dad reassured her. He handed Mom and me a gun, his eyes filled with determination. "Here, take this gun. If you see someone, just shoot. Adrik, dear, we're taking hunting lessons, aren't we? If you see someone who might be a threat to you, Isa, or your mama, you shoot them. Okay?"

Dad hurriedly fetched Isa and rushed toward the master bedroom, but it was already too late. A masked man appeared and shot Dad in the arm.

I stood there, frozen, my young heart pounding like a drum. Dad took his gun and shot the man and he fell to the floor.

But our moment of reprieve was short-lived. More masked men stormed into the room, their intentions clear in their menacing eyes. Isa, my little sister, was crying and terrified, seeking refuge with my trembling mother. I clutched the gun tighter, my knuckles going white as panic coursed through me.

I couldn't afford to be paralyzed by fear. With a trembling hand, I aimed the gun and squeezed my eyes shut, pulling the trigger. The sound of the gunshot rang through the room, and one of the intruders crumpled to the ground, writhing in pain. The others stared at me in disbelief and shock.