chapter 14

P.s: Everything in italics is flashback.
.........

Jeongin had been the last to reach the hotel with his classes being delayed. which meant, the driver had to hear constant complaints of slow driving and whines of hurrying up. Jeongin had then been escorted to the dinner hall where everyone else was already present.

He beamed at them, properly greeting each one of them despite his excitement. The last they had all been in the same place together seemed ages ago. Jeongin hadn't even met his parents once in the past week.

However, when he noticed one person was missing from the scene, an annoyed pout replaced his smile. "Hyung is not here? Is he not going to come?"

He looked at the entrance as he asked the questions. His mother chuckled." His is coming. He had a meeting so he'll be a little late."

"Yes, I know his meetings," Jeongin grumbled. "Dad, you should’ve asked him to come early.’

His father made an apologetic face. "You know he doesn’t listen to me. He must be coming, go and get fresh."

He was about to argue when he heard his uncle laugh. "Jeongin you are still the same. Right Hanuel hyung?"

Jeongin scoffed at that but a shy smile tugged at his face, "Uncle, we last met three months back. You’re talking like you haven’t seen me in ages."

His aunt giggled at that but ushered him towards the restroom. " Go quickly and wash your hands and face.”

He bowed his head in a dramatic manner and said, "Yes aunty-nim." Then he ran away from there before his aunt could hit him for the honorific. She was a woman in her early thirties and heavily against Jeongin calling her anything beyond 'noona'.

'Aunty' made her sound old, she would say.

She shook her head while a smile played on her lips. Jeongin winked at her, handing his backpack to his mother, before finally heading for the restroom.

.......

He was wiping his face when he heard loud noises as if fireworks going off, only more high-pitched and closer, which was odd since why would they blow fireworks in a fricking hotel. He hastily threw the paper towel into the waste bin and dashed for the door, almost colliding with his father who came in just then.

The relief that washed over him seeing his father safe and sound, went away at his bloody hand that held a gun. "Dad-"

A bullet shattered the glass of one of the bathroom windows and Hanuel pulled a shocked Jeongin out of harm's way. He dragged him out and covered him as he led him towards the bar. Abhijeet, who was hiding behind him, clutched at his vest flinching at the sound of each gunshot. However, he had noticed from the corner of his eyes everyone in his family as well as their guards fighting from their position, but the enemy, he couldn't see.

Hanuel pushed him behind the bar cabinet and knelt down beside him.

"D-dad.." He stuttered in fear, tears blocking his vision.

"Shh. Don't be scared." Hanuel reassured him but the worry lines on his forehead told a different tale. "We are here? Everyone’s going to be okay. You just have to promise me one thing, okay?"

Despite himself, Jeongin nodded.

His father pointed at a wooden closet far back in one corner of the room. It was safe outside the firing area. "Go inside it and hide here. Don’t come outside. And don’t make any noise, okay? They should not know that you are here." His tone was severe. Then he handed over Abhijeet's backpack to him which seemed to be resting a few inches away. "And keep this in front of you. You keep a lot of books, huh? Use it to guard yourself."