Chapter 15

A/N: Everything in itslics is flashback.......
..........

By the time Minho's meeting was over, it was an hour past the time of his family gathering. The hotel wasn't too far away, though. He knew if he left now, he would reach there within fifteen minutes. So hurriedly, as an apology, he bought a bouquet before getting in the car along with Changbin, who wore a disappointed look on his face.

"What's wrong?" Minho asked defensively, noticing Changbin's constant gaze on him. To which, Changbin replied, "At least for today, keep your work and family separate. Is it necessary for me to be present there?"

Minho quietly turned back to the road, saying, "We can't take the risk, Changbin. Having all of us in one place at this time is not without danger."

Changbin sighed but said nothing. Having worked with Minho for so long, he was not unaware of his partner's priorities or his way of working. He could already tell that their other team members were going to be present at the function.

Minho entered the hotel with a smile playing on his lips, Changbin following with an exasperated smile of his own. As much as the other guy acted tough, he loved his family. With Minho's overworking and their constant assignments, it was hard for the man to spend some quality time at home.

Only, the shouting and yelling from the main room made the smiles vanish from their faces, and they shared a worried look. They dashed to the source of those voices emitting emergency and panic, instantly assuming their professional roles.

The bouquet fell from Minho's hands, and the previously multicolored flowers were now tainted red. Changbin, on the other hand, collided with Chan, who was standing at the entrance, and one look into those red, swollen eyes told him that they were really too late.

………….

Changbin jerked out of his thoughts when Jeongin came in through the security door. He stood up from his seat, setting down the magazine he had been holding.

Jeongin's steps slowed down on discovering Changbin, and then completely stopped when he was a few feet away from the other man. His head automatically lowered even as he kept looking here and there to avoid eye contact.

Changbin sighed, rubbing his eyes, the exhaustion from today taking its toll. After a while, he crossed his arms against his chest, "Where were you for so long?" He slightly cringed at how tired he sounded, even to himself, his voice dry and raspy.

Jeongin's fingers twitched, but he fisted them, "At the beach. With Hyunjin. And there were some guards with me too." He added hurriedly, seeing disbelief growing on Changbin's face.

The elder guy thumbed his forehead, muttering furiously. Though Jeongin couldn't tell what he was saying, except for a few curse words that were spit out.

Jeongin frowned. "You're not supposed to swear in front of me."

Changbin gave him a death glare, "So it's okay for you to smoke but not for me to swear in front of you? Get over yourself. You're not a kid anymore."

Jeongin's eyes widened. "I don't smoke! That was just one time! Since then-"

"Only the truth!" Changbin cut him off with a stern voice, making him shut his mouth.

Jeongin huffed, lowering his gaze reluctantly. "Twice. Just twice, I-" He pressed his lips, running a hand through his hair in frustration, his voice quietening as he continued, "I threw them away after that. There are other reminders of Dad here. I didn't need that thing." He managed to say.

Changbin was surprised but he also looked pleased. Jeongin couldn't tell until the elder one snorted and picked up his blazer that lay on the sofa. He put it over his arm and went near Jeongin. "Minho was worried. Wants to meet you. Apologize, hmm?"