Chapter 09: The Waitress And The Australian

June 2015

Somewhere in the middle of Wyoming, about six hours out of the bunker, Dean called it quits on driving for the day. The second point of call was dinner at a local diner where your waitress seemed quite keen on Sam the minute you'd stepped through the door. The first had been checking into a motel for the night.

Piper, the waitress, had greeted you all from behind the diner's long counter as she poured coffee for another patron. As Sam had taken the lead and stepped into the building ahead of you and Dean, you couldn't miss the way her eyes followed Sam as he walked to a table in the back corner of the room, unaware of the attention, at first. Dean didn't seem to notice either but he was too busy looking at the menu board that lined the main wall.

When Piper took your orders, she was pleasant with all of you, but as Kat had done to Dean in Livingston all those months ago, she fixated on Sam. Always facing him front on, always addressing him first and always fixing or playing with her hair as she spoke to him. At one point she even came back with a button undone and what appeared to be a fresh application of gloss on her lips. A pink, dewy glow that was quite pretty actually.

It was the extra view of cleavage that Sam and Dean, finally seemed to notice though. Men, you rolled your eyes internally.

Dean, luckily for him, didn't ogle for too long, realising quickly what Piper was doing. As she delivered your meals to the table, he stopped her from walking away, asking if it were possible for yours and his to be wrapped up as takeaway.

"You know what, um Piper!" He grinned, reading her name badge quickly and then pointing between his triple cheeseburger and your club sandwich. "Do you mind if we get mine and hers to go?"

"Sure thing," she replied happily.

As Piper walked away Sam hissed at him. "Dude! I appreciate what you're doing but it's not necessary. I'm beat and..."

"Sammy! It's about time you lost the v card and that, looks like it's a sure fire way to do it man. Come on, even Glowworm has picked up on the cues. She's eager, right sweetheart?" He leaned further into you as he asked you to support his argument.

"Well, I wouldn't say eager, but she's definitely into you... She's been checking you out since we walked in..." It felt a little weird to be encouraging Sam to 'chase some tail' but you were an adult and after what he'd seen of you and Dean earlier that day, you felt you kind of owed him one.

Dean grinned at you before turning back to his brother. "You're lucky I'm being so nice after you cock blocked me earlier." That, made you cringe. Did he really have to say that?

"Dean, that's... You know what fine," he sighed. "Maybe I will. Just don't say any weird crap when she comes back alright?"

"I, wouldn't do that..." Dean feigned innocence. But as Piper was walking back with two large take out containers, he grinned mischievously. "Thank you!" he addressed her as she handed them to him.  Motioning to you this time, he then said, "we have to get going... But I don't suppose you have the time to keep an eye on my brother here for me after we leave? He gets lonely all by himself!"

You felt a boot hit your shin rather forcefully and not only did it catch you by surprise, it made you jump. Your knees hit the table above them, causing the metal cutlery and ceramic serving-ware to clank against the wood. "Ow!" you cried, glaring in Sam's direction.

'Sorry,' he mouthed. While Dean placed his hand on your thigh closest to him and rubbed soothingly, well off from where you had actually been kicked.

Piper seemed unfazed by the entire exchange, her smile broadening as she no doubt knew exactly what was going on. "I'm sure I can manage that. I get off in an hour, but I don't have any plans," she added slyly.