Chapter 19: Felix Felicis

July 2015

The first time you saw her, you had been mesmerised and this was no different. For all intents and purposes, she was perfection. A literal goddess, matching the definition of her class in every way.

Her dark wavy curtain of hair flowed like a waterfall over the polished porcelain skin of her exposed shoulders and silken-covered back and breasts. Not quite suited on a catwalk or wearing designer labels or couture, she had an hourglass figure with curves in all the right places, proportioned and voluptuous.

No blemishes or age lines ruined her skin either. There was certainly no scarring in sight. She was photogenic and magazine-ready, from her head to her toes. while you and your features were put to shame. You were simple, ordinary, and plain compared to such beauty.

"You should watch those thoughts little firefly," she spoke again as she appeared to float over the ground towards you. "Your jealousy attracted me to you in the first place. You were jealous of your companion, but now I feel your jealousy is directed at me."

'Firefly. If only Crowley had come up with that.' They were beautiful and delicate if insects could be considered such. At least unlike a glowworm that made you think of caterpillars looking ugly and slimed. In her eyes, you were pretty and winged. Something that lit up the night sky and brought beauty to the darkness. 'What the hell is wrong with you? She wasn't complimenting you.'

Nemesis now stood before you, barely a foot away. She was so close you could reach out and touch her without lifting a finger. All you needed to do was just lean and your cheeks and forehead would rest on the top of her perfectly sculpted chest. But that was unnecessary as she grabbed you by your left wrist first. Her manicured nails dug into the skin above your anti-possession tattoo. Her thumb, grazing over the Enochian symbol for 'love', teasing and taunting you.

"You are special. Escaping my judgement when so very few have..." Even through her malicious tone, her voice was ever graceful. The distance between you had allowed her to lower it and you could hear the sweet, lyrical notes in the intonation she used. Unlike Rowena, who you likened to a piccolo, shrill and airy, Nemesis' sound belonged to the high octave notes of a piano, delicately tinkling.

She raised your forearm roughly. The jolt caused the muscle and bone to twang painfully in protest as she brought it closer to her face to examine the strokes of your scar. Without even a flinch, the tip of her nose pressed into your skin, her eyes scrupulously gazing over each line. "But it seems you had help and that is unjust. These marks..."

'Shit.' She'd called you a firefly which meant she must've seen the glow Cass and Crowley always referred to. Now she'd discovered your cuts and with it, possibly the protection spell. Would she know who gave them to you? Would that make things better, or worse? You had promised Dean you wouldn't say anything about your situation to anyone and so you stayed silent, listening as Nemesis held the conversation on her own.

"God, your creator, he gave this to you. He marked you and protected you against his children and their descendants. But this little spell ingrained into your body is not designed to help you with other threats such as mine. You should've succumbed to your jealousy as the others did," she seethed.

Her nails forced their way further into the pencil-thin scar. While it hurt where she pressed into your skin, your body didn't react. There was no buzzing, no tingling, no burning of skin or muscle as your protection spell would normally give off. No light, no shine, no glow, and you realised you were at her whim. She wasn't a demon or an angel. She wasn't one of Charles' descendants as she had put it. She was a threat. And she held you, literally in the palm of her hand.