Chapter 14: The One That Got Away

July 2015

In the weeks since returning from Oregon, Cass had begun to be a regular sight around the bunker, when he wasn't tucked away binge watching Netflix that is. You could safely say the angel had moved in and acted as a fourth roommate to your 'household' at least for now.

He had taken up board in your old room for the time being while he continued to recover from Rowena's hex. Originally he'd been doing that in Sam's room but on yours and the Winchesters return, he had moved into the only other occupy-able one at the time. Technically room 15 that Charlie had used when she stayed was available too but Dean thought that was too close to comfort to your shared one.

Cass even joined you for meals on most occasions, not that he chose to eat anything. Although you had somehow managed to get him to try Vegemite.

"This is Australia's version of a PB&J," you had explained after making him and yourself a Vegemite and cheese toastie one morning. Granted, you knew it wasn't the same thing, especially because you liked to toast yours while other Australians would usually have theirs fresh, but the principle was there. It was the national sandwich of your home country, with the exception of a sausage sanga, and far superior to peanut butter and jelly that the angel had told you he favoured while he was human. At least you thought so. The Americans in your company flatly disagreed.

"It's good right?" you had insisted but Cass disappointed you with his reply.

"Sorry Glowworm, all I taste is atoms, molecules and a lot of yeast. Lots of it..."

Let's be fair, he wasn't wrong about the yeast, but he still humoured you and finished the sandwich you'd made him. That was probably the only meal he did eat out of all those he shared with you, and you felt somewhat special that he had.

What the angel didn't eat, was dinner on the evening of the fifteenth, a Wednesday, when Dean had made you all burgers after picking up the ingredients on the way home from a ghost hunt. That had been a fun one. The ghost had turned out to be a lady in white, who had been haunting a sleepy little town in Indiana. The fun part had to do with her choosing Dean as a victim, it always seemed to be him, and he had gone missing for at least six hours because she'd taken him and Baby on a drive. As with most cases though, the job was done, the ghost, salted and burned and you had all returned in one piece.

The burgers, were celebratory of that. However, you were certain it had more to do with one of Dean's favourite burger joints, that you had passed along the way home, being closed down.

You helped Dean put the burgers together, while your other two housemates sat at the mess room table. Sam on his laptop as usual, and Cass staring absentmindedly every so often at the door that led out to the hall. He seemed to be suffering from Jenny Jones withdrawals. You'd caught him watching it earlier when passing by your old room on the way to the bathroom.

"Put that away man, burgers are almost up!" Dean called out across the room. "No searching for cases while we eat."

You looked at Dean and raised a brow quizzically. "Since when?"

"Since now. We just got back. The darkness and everything else can wait an hour." he retorted. "Can't we just have a normal dinner, with no monsters or God's sister crap?... Hand me one of the plates would ya?"

"I mean sure, but you found the lady in white at breakfast that same morning," you reminded him as you held out your hand with the first plated burger. It was waiting to be completed with the meat patty he held with a pair of tongs.

The way he placed it, ever so carefully onto the stacked bun with lettuce, tomato and cheese would make anyone think the thing cost a pretty penny. "I had cabin fever sweetheart. We'd had nothing for a week."