Chapter 23: Conclusion Jumping

August 2015

After a very lengthy discussion and a more extensive search into Chuck that still turned up blank, Sam reluctantly took a just as reluctant Cass with him to investigate the murders in Fall River. He still insisted there was something funny going on and as it was a twenty-four-hour drive without stopping, left as soon as things were finalised.

With the others gone, you and Dean were left behind to work in the bunker's library, spending your first hour alone locating one publisher, one 'ex-wife' and one house.

"Okay. So there are four diners in Kripke's Hollow but none of them say anything about having the best cheeseburger in the country," you said from behind your laptop screen that displayed Google Maps.

"It was a bacon cheeseburger," Dean corrected you. "And it was the best according to Oprah's best friend."

"You mean Gayle?" What was her last name again? Gayle King?

Dean had been standing at the small wooden trolley in the middle alcove. With his back facing you he poured you both a glass of his better scotch. You heard the distinct clink of glass hitting metal as he lowered what you presumed to be the decanter back down onto the silver tray again before he turned around to give you a strange look, holding a lowball in each hand. "Gayle? Did you Google that too?"

"No!" Though you were about to. "I've just seen the show enough times to know who she is."

He then quirked a brow as he took a sip of the glass in his right hand.

"Oprah and Dr. Phil helped me get through uni." You shrugged as he swished the alcohol through his mouth.

Dean swallowed and then moved across the wooden floorboards, his boots thumping against them as he made his way back over to you sitting at the middle table. "You watched Oprah enough to remember her name? How the hell did you get a degree?"

"I wasn't always watching, just during breaks." Too many breaks if you were honest. Your uni days had been filled with procrastination, but who's wasn't? "You don't need to get the best marks, just a pass. P's get degrees. That's what my friend Amy used to say."

Amy was just another one of the people you had lost due to Charles' cruel joke. It had been a long time since you'd thought of her or anyone else who had been with you at the club that night. It was just too painful and in some ways worse than remembering your family. Your close friends were the last people to see you from your old life and Amy, the very last, besides Charles.

You remembered the moment all too well. Ellie Goulding's lyrics had finished but the electric beat of Calvin Harris still played throughout the club as Amy hugged you a final goodbye. "Get home safe dude. I'll call you tomorrow," she had said. You had planned to talk about that evening's events but it wasn't meant to be. Charles had other plans, you just didn't know it yet.

"Well with that logic, maybe I should've gone to college..." Dean quipped before noticing your disposition. "You okay?"

His hand moved to your thigh, squeezing gently to remind you he was there, just as he'd done earlier when you realised the connection between Chuck and your old friend.

You placed your hand over his and squeezed it back, twice, leaving whether he took that to mean yes or no up to him. "Yeah..." was the word you chose to verbalise, nodding your head vigorously as if doing so would pull you away from the slump you were about to fall into.

You brought the glass Dean had given you up to your mouth and took a long swill, treating it more like a shot than the long-lasting drink he had meant it to be. Your throat burned the second the amber liquid pooled in your mouth and with no choice but down, you swallowed, feeling a trail of heat as it travelled to your stomach and settled uncomfortably. It was supposed to be smooth.