CHAPTER-5: Quintessential Problems

THIRD-PERSON POV:

The second year of high school was already underway, and the boys had settled into a somewhat routine life in their mansion. Morning light filtered through the classroom windows as students filled their seats.

Zain Zaffar is seen sleeping on his desk in class in the middle of the lecture. As soon as the bell rings, Fuutaro gets up and approaches him.

"Is he seriously sleeping...? It's not even been a full month!" Fuutaro sighed, and nudged his shoulder.

"You better have a good reason to interrupt my sleep, or I'm punching you in the face." Zain says lazily as he looks up.

"Did you stay up late again?"

"No comment. Why'd you wake me up?"

"Do you wanna grab some lunch?"

"Sure, I'm starving." Zain replies, quickly getting up from his seat. "Just give me a moment to collect myself." He says, putting a hand on his head.

Before anything else, two sets of arms grab either of Zain's.

"Zaffar-kun, would you like to eat lunch with me and the girls?" Karuizawa asked.

"No, Zaffar-kun wants to eat with us, right Zaffar-kun?" Kushida countered.

"Sorry, ladies, can I get a rain check? I already promised someone I'd eat with them today." He said apologetically as he got up from his seat, and approached Fuutaro.

The pair walk towards the cafeteria in relative silence.

"Hey, Fuutaro." Zain called out to the elder Uesugi. "You go on ahead, I'm gonna go to the washroom to freshen up. I'll see you in the cafeteria."

"Hmm? Okay, see you at the same table as last time?" He asked and gets a nod as a reply.

As the long, black-haired boy heads off to the toilet, the elder Uesugi finds himself in front of the cafeteria lunch lady.

"One beef barbeque set, hold the beef, please."

"That'll be 200 yen, thank you."

"Thanks, have a nice day." He said, after paying for the meal.

The cheapest item on the menu at this school's cafeteria is the bowl of rice on his tray, which costs 200 yen. However, if he orders the beef barbeque meal set, and asks the meat to be removed, which costs another 200 yen, the cafeteria staff still gives him the bowl of rice, but with the miso soup and veggies as if he ordered the full set.

Essentially, this means that he can take advantage of the cafeteria system by receiving miso soup and veggies without having to pay for a bowl of rice.

Sometimes his genius is almost frightening.

Ignoring the constant chatter of the cafeteria, he made his way to the two-seater table at the end of the cafeteria where he usually sits at with Zain.

As soon as he set his tray down, he noticed there was another tray next to his. Fuutaro tilted his head to look at the owner of the other tray, which caused him to lock eyes with a young red-head frowning at him.

...

ZAIN ZAFFAR'S POV:

The bathroom door clicked shut behind me, and suddenly, it felt like the walls were closing in.

Cold sweat dripped down my palms, memories clawing their way back. I stumbled to the sink, its porcelain surface offering little comfort. I splashed my face with cold water, washing away the remnants of my sleep. My breaths quickened, the air thinning. The mirror reflected a version of me I barely recognized, haunted by shadows.