Chapter 19

Adrik : 

After we left the meeting room, Jeremy did his best to convince me to abandon the plan, but I stayed firm. I gave the same answer—no. If he truly believes that, after the pain my family had endured, I would simply let her go, he's mistaken. That's not going to happen. I'm ready to do whatever it takes to make her experience the pain I went through, my family went through. I hate her with everything in me, and she won't get away from me, no matter what.

She's my wife, my property after all.

After making some frustrated and angry expressions, Jeremy finally left, his face showing clear signs of defeat. I made a call to Luca and headed to my penthouse.

As soon as I stepped into the house, an agonizing scream filled the air, followed by the sound of shattering glass. Panic surged through me like an electric shock, as I rushed to our room. There, I found Grace on her knees, her fingers entangled in her hair, pulling it with a desperate grip. She sobbed uncontrollably, her pleas echoing in the room, as she begged some invisible tormentor to stop.

I call out her name, but it's as if she can't hear me, lost in her war-fighting demons.

"Grace!" I yell, desperately trying to catch her attention, but nothing seems to work. So, I go to her, engulfing her in my arms as she struggles to push me away. She sobs and gasps, fighting, and I can feel her trembling uncontrollably in my embrace.

"You will hurt me. You will kill me ruthlessly, like the monster you are," she manages to gasp out, tears streaming down her face. I can see the fear in her eyes, the deep-seated trauma.

I wanted to reassure her, to tell her I wouldn't hurt her, my thoughts while I denied Jeremy to abandon the plan rushed back to my mind. She is innocent, she is not her father. No. I just couldn't find the right words. Instead, I said, "Just tell me whom to kill, and I'll do it. Just tell me what to do, please." Her distant gaze doesn't seem to register my words.

When nothing works I cup her face forcefully uttering, "I won't hurt you. You are safe with me. I will vanquish all your demons. Anyone who dares to lay a finger on you will meet their end. Even if someone looks at you with ill intentions, they will face their death. I promise you, Grace, you are my wife, and I will protect you from all harm."

This time, she lifts her gaze at me, her eyes shining with pain and trauma. With a trembling breath, she buries her face in my chest, allowing her pain to flow freely. I lift her onto my lap, my voice filled with emotion as I whisper reassuring words.

"Shh, it's alright. No one will ever hurt you," I murmured as my lips brushed softly against her forehead.

When she finally calms down, she utters, "I'm sorry," not daring to lift her gaze, her voice tinged with a sniffle.

I insist, "Look at me," but she refuses and vigorously shakes her head against my chest. I gently hold her chin to make her meet my gaze. With a stern tone, I inquire, "Who hurt you?"

I seriously have to dig deep into her past as this is the second time she's had a panic attack, since yesterday. Today's panic attack was more grave. She couldn't hear me, no matter how many times I called her. I'll have Jeremy look into it.

No, I'll look into it. I'm her husband.

She replies, "No one. Now let me go," attempting to break free, but I encircle my arm tightly around her chest, drawing her closer to me. Her warm, honey breath brushes against my face.

I remind her, "What did I say? you don't pull away from me." I whisper in her ear with a hoarse voice.

She breathes out my name, "Adrik," and I spin us around, pinning her against the ground. I bury my face in her neck, feeling her warmth.

"Adrik, I... I'm really hungry," she admits, and I let out a deep sigh, my breath brushing through her hair.

"Seriously? You're hungry," I respond, raising an eyebrow at her dramatics.

"Yes," she replies, pursing her lips, trying to suppress a smile as I stand up.

"Alright, what would you like to eat?" I inquired, taking off my coat and rolling up the sleeves of my shirt.