Chapter Five

Victoria POV

I needed to stop by the Mclaren garage, and I really didn't want to, but Oscar had stolen my charger earlier today, and I needed it back before the race.

I walk up to Mclaren, the papaya colours flashing at me. I couldn't really see anyone around, especially Oscar.

I look round, trying to find the brunette accident bumping into someone.

"Shit, I'm sorry," I say, picking up his phone and handing it to him. "I wasn't looking," he smiles, shaking his head.

"It's no problem," he smiles, "Victoria, right?"

"That's me, but you can call me Vic, and you are?"

"Max F,"

"Max F? You have to give your second initial,"

"It's a habit so people don't confuse me with Verstappen," I nod. "I'm Landos friend,"

"Yeah, I've heard of you before,'

"We're you looking for someone?"

"Yeah, Oscar,"

"I was just on my way to meet him and Lando if you want to join," he raised his eyebrow as I cringed at the mention of Lando.

"Sure," I smile he nods, and I follow behind him.

"Look who I found," Max F says as we reach the table. They sat at Lando and looked up, frowning.

"Vic?" Oscar smiles.

"I came for my charger,"

"Oh shit, I forgot I had it. I'll go get it now. Wait here," I nod.

"Why don't you take a seat," Max F says. I pull a seat out, sitting down. Lando hadn't taken his eyes off me as he sucks his teeth.

"You nervous about the race?"

"I'm always nervous before a race," I admit.

"Maybe you won't crash into anyone this time," Lando says. "It seems like you have a habit," I roll my eyes, ignoring his digs at me.

"You were told to play nice," Max F says.

"I am playing nice," he fakes a smile at me.

"Maybe this time you'll win a race, but that seems highly unlikely with your track record," I to fake a smile.

"I like you," Max F says.

"I like you too,"

Oscar finally comes back just as Lando goes to say something but stops as Oscar beats him to it.

"There you go, ringing Katie before the race?"

"Yeah, but I forgot to charge my phone last night," I admit. "I also need to get in touch with Logan after the race about the flight," he nods.

"You and Logan are close?" Max F asks.

"Yeah, we are," he nods. I know he's referring to the crash. Everyone thought we wouldn't talk again, and there was no sign that we ever did.

"I best get going it was nice meeting you, Max,"

"You too," he smiles.

Lando POV

"You're making friends with her?" I ask.

"What? I think she's really nice,'

"You kidding, right?"

"No, and I think you'd also like her if your head wasn't so far up your ass right now," he says.

"I agree with him there," Oscar adds. "You and Vic are very much alike more than you know,"

"I don't want to know," I say. "I also don't want to find out,"

"We'll see how long you keep that up," Max F says. "I think you'll be begging Oscar to get her to speak to you by summer break,"

"No chance,"

"Let's make a bet then,"

"Another bet you two seriously need to stop,'Oscar says. I shake my head, sitting up in my seat.

"It's alright, Oscar. I always win these bets,"

"Not this one. I bet that by summer, you'll want her as a friend,"

"Fine, because it'll never happen,"

"In the words of Justin Bieber, never say never," Oscsr says, causing us to both look at him "sorry she made me listen to him in the car journey here," he admits.

"Anyway," I hold my hand out, which he shakes.

I wanted to be friends with her as if there's no chance this was an easy win, probably the easiest bet we've ever made.

Oscar leaves the table, leaving me and Max alone.

"I want to add to this bet," I say.

"You do?"

"I do, I bet that by summer, she'll be out of a seat,"

"Lando," I shake my head.

"I'll see to it myself," he rolls his eyes at me.

"You'll regret your words,"

"I don't think so. I want her out,"

"Over a few minor things," he asks

"And other reason,"

"Like what?"

"That's for me to know and for you to never find out," the reason being I'm scared she's better than me and that everyone is going to see it.

Towards the end of last season, I was getting more and more podiums getting closer to the win that I desperately deserve, but it never came.

The headlines that came after the season ended weren't exactly what I wanted.

"Lando Norris allergic to winning"

"Lando Norris most points in F1 without a win"

"Lando Norris isn't championship material"

You get the idea nobody believes or believes that I can win a race, and I'm starting to believe it myself, and if she's better than me, it just makes it a whole lot worse.