Four: Harsh Reality

"You," Jay looked at me. "Stay here. Don't leave, don't explore, don't even move."

I nodded in agreement and slumped into the worn leather chair behind his desk as he looked at the young guy waiting for him.

"This had better be good," he growled.

"Do I ever disappoint?" The guy asked with a smirk as they both left the office with a slam of the door behind them.

I sat in silence for a moment as I took in my situation. Where did I go from here? Jay still loved me, had never stopped, and yet I couldn't bring myself to think about returning to this life. I left for a reason after all, and had anything really changed? He may be the Boss now, so he'd be running things differently but that didn't take away from the fact that a gang is still a gang.

Beginning to get restless, I stood up and started to look around the moderate office, taking in minor details like the coffee stains on the desk, the view from the window behind it, and the hundreds of books Jay had accumulated-

Wait a second. Were they my books?

I dropped to the floor next to one of the book shelves and surely enough, on the bottom shelf, all of my work was neatly stood in chronological order. I pulled out my debut novel and saw that the pages were creased and obviously well-read, which brought a smile to my face. Had Jay been reading my work? He definitely knew I was an author before I told him anyway, there was no doubt about that now.

He'd even made annotations on the page and highlighted parts, which upon closer inspection, were the parts where I'd clearly used him as my inspiration. 

If he'd known I was an author and read my books, what other stuff did he know about me? Had he been keeping tabs on me, even though he clearly said that he hadn't tracked me down whilst I was in London?

I stood back up and turned to his desk, spying his computer, switched on and logged in. If he had been keeping information about me, it would definitely all be on there. Feeling slightly guilty for intruding, I sat back in his office chair behind the desk and clicked onto his documents, revealing hundreds of folders, all named differently.

"Seriously?" I whispered to myself, rolling my eyes. I began scrolling through the files to see if anything stood out to me but nothing seemed to mention anything that could be related to me. I scrolled to the very bottom and was about to close the window but I suddenly saw the last folder; z_Princess.

Was that...? Before I could open it, I heard footsteps approaching the office so I rapidly closed down the window and held my breath as I heard voices outside the door.

"...With a freaking pan..."

"...Smashed his skull in..."

"...Dangerous... She'll distract Boss if we don't..."