Twelve: Hard To Adjust

**CHAPTER SONG: Panic! At The Disco - Miss Jackson (feat. Lolo)**

 Lolo)**

"Okay so I know you got some basic training with a gun from Jay a while back, but I'm gonna make sure you're ready for anything, okay?"

I looked up at Speedy and swallowed before nodding, shaking my hands out. After composing myself, Bones had handed me over to Speedy, who had demanded that I change into work out clothes and meet him in the small warehouse outside the back of the house. It was a soundproofed warehouse that they used as a shooting range and assault course of sorts for training purposes.

"You're gonna be fit as a fiddle when I'm finished with you." He laughed and threw an arm around my shoulders, leading me over to the assault course.

"I'm really not feeling this today." I murmured, feeling my eyes well up again but I held back my tears.

"This course is gonna become your best friend, it helps with stress, anxiety, depression-"

"I'm sorry but how the hell does an assault course help with all of that?"

"It gives you something to focus on, a time to beat, an obstacle to get over, not to mention the benefits of exercise on it's own. I promise you, you'll end up doing this thing in your sleep."

"And how often do I have to do this thing?"

"Numerous times every day."

"Well shit."

"No more.... Please... No more... I'm begging you..." I gasped, falling in a heap at the end of the obstacle course for the fifth time in an hour.

"Up, up, up. Come on." Speedy grabbed my arms and dragged me up, my entire body whining in protest at the amount of physical exertion it was dealing with.

"I need a break, I need some lunch or something, Jesus."

"Okay, okay, we'll go get some food, but I'm making you healthy food that's good for your new lifestyle and fitness regime." I stopped and looked at him, dumbfounded.

"I'm sorry, what? I want some mac and cheese, I'm craving-"

"You're eating by my rules now missy, plenty of protein, only good fats and carbs come few and far between." He explained, making me want to cry.

"Do you think you're some sort of personal trainer or something?" I gasped but he just laughed, dragging me out of the warehouse and along the patio, through the huge open glass panels of the kitchen.

"I used to be. Before The Alliance, I was a personal trainer in Lincoln."

"Why'd you end up with this motley crew then?" I laughed and he smiled as he got some chicken from the fridge.

"My story is a little like yours actually... My best friend got in the bad books of The Zemsta and ended up dead... So here I am."

"I'm so sorry." I said and then cringed. "I can't believe I just said that, I hate when people say that to me." He laughed in response and began grilling the chicken before pulling some salad ingredients from the fridge.