Chapter 9

I need coffee.

WARNING!⚠️ mentions of suicide.
————————————————————————

Wolfe:

Terra scoffed, "Does she have a case of Stockholm Syndrome or something?" She's always had fire in her but that's nothing compared to her being pregnant. Sometimes I just want to strangle her, but isn't that what most dysfunctional families do?

"It's not..." I stutter, trying to find the right words, then I sigh. "It's not love. It's a mutual attraction that we both can't deny. I'm not capable of love, very far from it."
I had loved, once. And I vowed to myself never to make such a mistake again. But the larger reason, is because I'm a monster. I can't do cuddling, sweet nothings, or holding hands. I can't do dates and rings and Valentine's Day, because the expectation of me is to be a wonderful man carved from the heavens with a pure soul and criminal innocence. That is far from the kind of man I am. I am a man of nightmares, not blissful dreams.

"Mhmm," Wesley simply hummed in response. I rolled my eyes, and redirected the subject.

"Is there anything new?"

Castiel shook his head. "Nothing. They are definitely in the States, but nothing other than that so far. We will catch them Wolfe, before they hurt anyone here."

Wesley glanced at his wife, "I hope so."

As I drove the short distance back to my home, the road slowly faded.

******

"Ali." I turned my chair to face her. She stood in the doorway, her face pale. She had just gotten home, saying she was going out with a friend for coffee. I was in the middle of work, but she looked distraught. My heart pounded with worry as I abruptly stood from my desk.

"Sweetheart? What's wrong?"

Her eyes welled with tears, and I worried this was it. That she would finally decide to leave me. What had happened while she was gone? Did someone try to hurt her? I knew I should've hired a bodyguard, maybe ten, but she had argued with me not to. She said she could handle it herself, and compromised with me to carry a gun.
Nothing prepared me for what was about to leave her mouth. "I'm pregnant."

The pen I was holding dropped to the floor, popping the silence like a balloon. It could've been a gunshot.
"Are you sure?"

She nodded, the tears slipping from her face. "Baby, why are you crying?"

"Because this isn't something you want, you love your work and I don't want to ruin that. I don't want you to think I planned this."

I wrapped her in my arms, her cries breaking my heart. "I'm not mad, I'm so, so happy. You have given me the best gift ever. Unconditional love, and now, a baby that I hope is just like you. You are my everything, Angel."

"Really?"

"Yes," her giggles filled my ears as my hands tickled her sides, just like I've done several times before. Her joyous laughs threw her heartbreaking cries out the window, and suddenly our home was flooded with happiness. "I want you to marry me."

She looked into my eyes, a smile planted across her face. "Yes, yes, I will marry you, my love." I spun her around the living room, the most happy moment in my life that I will cherish forever. I never thought I could love something so much, but isn't that what happens when your heart has been placed in the hands of your forever?
And then just as I had been complete, my world shattered around me into a million pieces that could never be repaired. That same silence-breaking gunshot had suddenly become real and my life was slowed.