Chapter 5: Fatherhood Plus 1 Part 2

Oakland, California

June, 1960

(Continued from Chapter 4)

Once I pull into the driveway, I notice the porch light is on and Heather is sitting in one of the patio chairs. She's reading a Cosmopolitan magazine so I can tell she's in a pretty decent mood. I take one last look at myself in the rearview mirror to make sure I have no residue on me from Mary or her place. Heather squints her eyes at the car. I know she is wondering what I'm doing but thankfully she can't see clearly because of it being so late.

"Good evening, Frank!" Heather greets.

She closes the magazine and waits for me to sit next to her. I get out of the car and head to the porch.

"Good evening, my love." I peck her lips.

"Are you alright, honey? Your eyes look like you've been crying." she places her hand on my chest.

"Yeah. I'm fine, baby. I'm exhausted." I make myself yawn.

Heather isn't buying it. Her expression changes and she purses her lips.

"Frank, are you really at work when you stay out long?" Heather crosses her arms.

"Yes, dear," I squint my eyes slightly. "What's wrong?"

"I've been having this reoccurring dream about you lately and it's quite bothersome." Heather breathes out harshly.

"Well, what is it?" I question.

"I dream that I visit you at work. I bring you lunch and the paper. Every time I open your office door, I see you and Mary making love passionately on your desk. Mary always smiles at me first and then you take a break to tell me to 'join' you both. The weird thing is when Mary holds her hand out as if she does want me to join you."

"D-"

"Yea... I do join you both," Heather sighs.

I gulp and sit back. My palms start to sweat and my heart races. This is not good at all. My granny always told me stories like this when I was coming up. It's as if her dreams predicted the future.

"That's a lot to unpack, Heather," I say trying to hide the panic in my voice.

"Well. Is it true in any way, Frank? Are you and Mary closer than you appear to be?" Heather asks while looking into my eyes.

I breathe in and out.

"Heather, Mary is my friend. That is all. I don't know why you're having that dream. Maybe it's saying something else you aren't seeing?" I kiss her cheek.

"I don't know what else it could mean if I've had that dream for almost a year now." Heather snaps. "You know my friend told me that she had a similar dream and sure enough, her husband was cheating on her. I hope if something is going on, you are strong enough to tell me. We can work it out. We can fix it--"

I kiss her lips gently and wrap my arms around her.

"Calm down, babe" I peck once more. "Nothing is going on. I'm here. I love you so much and that beautiful kid you made me."

Her eyes light up and she rests her head on my shoulder.

"Now, let's get inside. I'd love to take a shower and lie down before he wakes up for another feeding." I stand up.

We both enter the house by going in different directions. I take off my jacket and hang it up on the coat rack. I feel for Mary's letter in my shirt pocket and take it to my office. I can't let anything happen to this precious piece of paper.