Chapter 7: The Lord Taketh Away?

October 1961

"Frank look at her!" Mary gasps. "I know she will be walking soon."

"She's already standing up by herself." I chuckle. "She's only eight months and is pretty advanced. They say that means another one is on the way--"

"OH! NO NO NO!" Mary sharply interjects. "I'm not, Frank. But now that I think of it, Heather could be. She's been acting strange lately."

"You think Heather is pregnant--again?" I ask while bouncing Francesca on my knee.

"Yes," Mary chuckles. "I've experienced how she feels and saw what it does to us. I think my love is going to be a papa again."

I anxiously chuckle and pick up Francesca. We walk into the kitchen to get a washcloth to wipe off her face.

"What are you two doing?" Mary calls from the living room.

"I'm cleaning up this stinky girl," I chuckle. "She smells like split pea soup."

Mary enters the kitchen with her arms crossed. She's been agitated lately and I think I know why. We haven't been intimate in months partially due to her fear of getting pregnant again. I can handle myself, although, with her, it is so intense it's hard to stop myself from loading her up.

"What's that face, baby?" I ask.

"I miss you, Frank. You know... Our time." Mary flushes. "But I'm worried I might--"

"I promise you I will stop myself." I walk over to her with Francesca in my arms.

"When she is asleep, I want to. Especially since Heather is out of own for the week," Mary smiles.

"Yeah, you have me today and tomorrow, my love. I told her I have a business trip and an out-of-town meeting with another coach," I kiss her cheek.

"What are you going to do about your babysitter?" Mary anxiously questions. "You know, I think she might like you, Frank."

"What do you mean, 'like me?' I chuckle.

"Like a crush? I think that is what you say. She is fond of you," Mary snorts.

"Annabelle does not have a crush on me. You're being silly."

"She does. I know those eyes," Mary winks.

"Well, don't you worry about it? I treat her like a little sister," I reassure.

Mary shakes her head and takes Francesca from me.

"I'm going to give her a bath and get her ready for bed so we can have some alone time." Mary kisses my cheek.

"Sounds good to me..." I wink.

As I sit and listen to Mary sing in Italian to Francesca, several thoughts pass through my mind. My lifestyle is not for the faint of heart. It's hard enough being married, but being married and supporting another woman and your child behind closed doors makes life very difficult at times. It's not that I don't have enough money, it's the time delegated to both of these families I've created. Not to mention the other company I keep when I need a break...

"Frank?" Mary touches me slightly. "You've got that glazed-over look in your eyes again."

"You know me. I'm always thinking, Mary. Sometimes I do wonder if maybe we shouldn't have taken things as far as we did." I guide her to my lap.

"It's on my mind every day, Frank. I get worried that God is going to punish me for having my daughter by a married man." She tears up. "I pray every night and I tell God how much I love you and how much I wish he could have let you marry me instead."