Chapter 10: The Very Thought of You

November 1962

Oakland, California

"OH FRANK...." Exhales Dorothy. "I knew you would be a pleasant lay."

"That's all I am to you, huh?" I spoon Dorothy.

"No. You are my escape, darling," Dorothy lights a cigarette and takes a drag.

"I'll take that, I guess," I chuckle. "I don't understand why are you even with Rob if he treats you so poorly?"

"Because he owes me, Frank," She blows out smoke. "I have to tell you something. Promise me it stays within the walls of this hotel."

"I promise, dear," I rest my head on her chest and stomach.

"Alright." She puts out the cigarette. "When I was seventeen years old, I was gang raped by three white boys. Two of them I went to school with, the other was some older guy they hung out with and got pot from. Robert witnessed the assault and made eye contact with me while it was happening."

Her eyes fill with tears and she starts to hyperventilate. I try to ease her wrapping my arms around her, kissing her softly on the forehead. No wonder she is so rough. Hearing something like this happen to her saddens me.

"Thank you..." She cries. "It's hard talking about it. Robert was there and he saw me cry out for help."

"What did he do?" I ask.

"When they were finished, they left me in the alley half naked and partially conscious. Robert picked me up and took me to his place. He told me he'd deal with those boys. I now understand the only reason he didn't say anything was the fact that the older man had a rifle in the back of his truck, and Robert is a black man."

"Jesus Christ!" I shake my head. "Well, was he a man of his word?"

"Yes. Robert handled the older one. The things that creep did to me made me barren."

"Dorothy... God Damn..." I sigh. "

"Don't pity me."

"A normal person couldn't help but feel bad after hearing this," I plant a kiss behind her ear.

"Stop doing that," She scolds me and moves away from my hold.

"What am I doing?"

"You treat me like I'm yours. I don't belong to you!" She exclaims.

As she is dressing, I lie on my back while still naked. I know this is wrong but she calls me. She wants me to be here for her and then she rejects me once things start to feel too good. I know she uses me for sex although she says I'm not too good at it. I don't know why I keep coming back. Maybe I feel sorry for the gal.

"What? Did I offend the husky football star?" She chuckles.

"I understand you're a broken woman and that is why you spew so much bullshit," I sit up.

"You know what, get the fuck out of here, Frank! I don't know why I keep calling you."

"You call me because I'm your safe place, my dear," I smile. "I know you don't love me, but you love feeling safe. What woman doesn't?"

She begins to weep uncontrollably. I console her and let her know that everything is alright.

"You have to leave Robert, Dorothy," I say softly. "He might take care of you, but he doesn't treat you like he should. If I were him, I wouldn't have you working right under my thumb. I'd want you to have a nice full life, doing the things you want to do. He controls your every move and then beats you when you rebel."