three

i keep holding onto you,
but i can't bring you back to life
sing the anthem of the angels,
and say the last goodbye

-chapter three-

The breeze blew calmly around her as she inhaled deeply the smell of the sea beckoning at her. This was her safe space far from the real world and she could only bask fully in it. Her dark blue maxi-length gown flowed freely with the wind as she watched the waves roll over to a calm stop once they reached the shoreline.

Imani could only smile as she sat on the sandy shore. The distant sound of seagulls flying overhead brought her into a calm headspace as she closed her eyes to meditate in the tranquility of the scenery in front of her.

It isn't until her senses alert her to the presence of another party that she would look up to meet a curvy plus-size figure, donned in a white flowery gown, beside her.

"I knew I'd find you here, Imani," the woman said as she took the spot beside her. "Such lovely scenery out there."

Imani could only shake her head as her eyes flitted around the seascape, "I thought you would not make it out today."

"Well," the big woman started, "today is a special day for me and I was delayed for a moment. Surely, you do not mind that."

Imani nodded in understanding before turning to her companion, "I wish you were here, you know?"

Her companion smiled, taking her hand in hers, "but I am here, Imani. I'm right here beside you."

Shaking her head, this time, in frustration, "that's not what I mean and you know that."

The woman sighed again with a shrug, "what you ask of me is impossible besides, I think it is time for you to go back home."

A frown took over Imani's face as a sound of violins being played, drums rolling, guitars strumming suddenly infiltrated her ears and the scene slowly faded away.

Suddenly, she was met with a band poster staring back at her as the intro to Anthem Of The Angels started playing. She was no longer sitting on the sandy beach, she was lying supine on the soft mattress with her body fenced by her back support pillows.

White walls surround us
No light will touch your face again
Rain taps the window
As we sleep among the dead

Dear God, she mumbled incoherently as she turned to pick up her phone and in the notification center popped a "Happy Birthday, Kayla! 🥳"

Imani could only blink back her tears as this would be another one of the infinite times she had seen her deceased friend make an appearance in her dreams.

It had been two years since she passed yet the familiar sting of iodine struck her nose while she was  in her bedroom. God, she hated hospitals and today being Kayla's posthumous birthday didn't help matters as memories of her keeping vigil at Kayla's bedside flooded her mind.

Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go, then so will I

It was a cruel joke that of all the songs that would greet her in the waking world, it had to be Anthem Of The Angels. Reluctantly, she pulled herself up from the bed before finally pausing the song at You're dead alive. She had a long day ahead.

After the lecturer had stated her conclusions on heat energy, Imani wasted no further time as she was amongst the first students to leave the hall

After the lecturer had stated her conclusions on heat energy, Imani wasted no further time as she was amongst the first students to leave the hall. Thankfully for her, today had a little traffic compared to the other days she had this class.

Her wallet was in her hand as she rummaged through the contents in search of her ID card which had her bus pass. Ha, there you are, her face lit up with a small smile as she pulled out the card.

Soon, she found herself in the terminal. Picking up her EarPods, she plugged them into her ears before tapping on the play button on the screen.

There is nothing left of you
I can see it in your eyes
Sing the anthem of the angels
And say the last goodbye

Her foot tapped impatiently against the floor as she awaited her designated bus' arrival at the terminal. Same as her class, it had less traffic than usual making it a bit less crowded than it typically was.

Soon the bus arrived at the terminal with Imani making a brisk beeline for the stop. She held up the card to the scanner which beeped in approval before taking a seat by the window.

Her left elbow was already propped up against the window, with her cheek squished against the window. She could almost laugh at the absurdity of it where she appeared to be a little child although she was anything but that.

Rolling her eyes, she moved away from the window, maintaining a normal sitting posture when the bus made a stop. There, she saw two vampires walk into the bus. Her eyes followed them as they took the vacant seats and carried on chatting.

Just like that, Imani had flashbacks from the news with Chisom outright stating that they could be responsible for the missing cases. Didn't even waste any time on saying the quiet part out loud, she thought.

Not even being subtle about it, she eyed them, stealing glances at the vampiric ankh tattoo that perfectly distinguished the vampires from the humans. Without that mark, they could blend in perfectly well with the human world.

Soon, she turned her head away from them and returned to being lost in her daydream. Kayla, she sighed as her head leaned against the window.

She and Mikayla had been friends ever since they were both in third grade until she was snatched away from earth by cancer. A shaky sigh escaped Imani's lips as she pressed her head against the cold glass of the bus window, trying to regulate the memories of the odor of iodine solution and the beeping of ECG machines to the deepest abyss of her mind where they would never spring up.

God, I fucking hate hospitals, she thought as she sat up straight, letting the current song in her playlist distract her. It was only a matter of minutes before she got to the graveyard.

She looked down at her phone to see how far she was from her destination before letting the view outside the bus distract her.

author's note: this chapter was one of my favorite chapters to write and may give you a little insight into Imani's mind. I broke this into two parts due to how long it was. the next part would probably be published tomorrow or day after tomorrow.

also, I appreciate the votes that have been coming in, I appreciate you guys 😘❤️