five

chapter five

Oh God, she huffed as she shoved through the crowds of sweaty bodies moving against one another in a fluid rhythmic manner. It was this reason that she dreaded going to parties. 

Imani pushed on as she sighted the restroom in front of her. Finally, she let out a breath she didn't know she was holding in. Just a few steps more, she was already in front of the bathroom, pushing the wooden door open.

No sooner had she closed the door did she recline her back against it. Breathe in, breathe out, her chest rose and fell as she struggled to calm herself. Then, she closed her eyes for a few seconds.

Feeling calmer than before, her eyes opened, staring at the ceiling before she made her way to the sink. She hummed to herself as her hand reached out for the tap, letting the warm water run over her hands.

She was lost in her world as she lathered her hands with the soap, working it all over her hand and in between her fingers.

"Hello," a smooth deep voice called from behind.

Her body froze in shock, her back straightened and her hands stilled as she looked up to the mirror to glance at who it was.

"Who are you?" She found her voice, trying to be as firm as she could be. "And how did you get into this washroom?"

In the mirror, she saw a pair of what she would describe as "red glowing eyes of doom.". "Is that something you want to know?" the figure behind her replied.

Scoffing, Imani turned around to confront the intruder, "look, I don't know who the hell you are, but this is the ladies' restroom and you, sir, are trespassing."

The figure took a few menacing steps towards her, and Imani tightly gripped the sink. Against the deranged individual who could just as well have been kidnapping and murdering women for laughs, she was alone.

"I hate to repeat myself, Imani," the figure's deep voice cut into the air. "You will know who I am soon."

How does he know my name?

"How do you know my name?" Imani pressed on but before she could anymore, the figure interjected.

"Ah, ah, ah," he wagged his finger at her like she was a little mischievous child. "Soon, my love. It is about time you returned to the real world."

Panicking, Imani opened her mouth to say something, but the bathroom slowly faded away and Imani was back in her bedroom. Immediately, she sat up, breaking into a cold sweat.

What the fuck was that dream?

Her hand was already on the left side of her chest, pressing against her ribs as she felt her heart rate double. Her breath came out in sharp and fast huffs, making her jump off the bed and rush into the bathroom.

It couldn't be, she thought as she fumbled with the door knob in an attempt to shut the door. Her body slipped down the door as she held onto her silk bonnet.

She couldn't possibly be having an episode of panic attack from a dream. What on earth did it mean? Who was that man and how did he know her name? Most of all, why was she having a panic attack from a dream like that?

 What on earth did it mean? Who was that man and how did he know her name? Most of all, why was she having a panic attack from a dream like that?

"Babes, I swear, this party go make sense die," Chisom shrieked as she twirled around in her red bodycon mini dress.

Zuri threw her head back as she guffawed af Chisom's display. "Look at you getting excited over a new dress."

"Abeg, abeg o," Chisom waggled her finger playfully at the girl who had now regained her posture. "But what about Imani? Is she not coming with us again?"

Letting out a huff, Zuri just shrugged. It was already afternoon and she was yet to see her twin sister's shadow. Despite how nonchalant she may have seemed at that moment, she was worried about her especially the last time when such an incident had happened.

Standing on her feet abruptly, she made her way to Imani's room with Chisom trailing behind her. A faint ray of light appeared under the door in the dimly lit hallway, that eased Zuri's mind for a bit as it meant Imani was fine for the time being.

Raising her fist to the door, she issued a series of knocks on the wooden door.

"Imani!"

Silence.

"Imani!" Zuri yelled, more directly at the door. It worked as no sooner than a few seconds later, the door was opened. The aforementioned had slight black circles under her eyes and a groggy look on her face as she stared tiredly into her sister's and their friend's faces.

"Morning," she slurred, fighting a yawn.

Zuri turned for a moment to look at Chisom whose face had a questioning look.

"At this time, and you are still sleeping? What have you been doing throughout the night? It is already three, Imani!"

"You look pale, Imani. Are you ill or something?" Chisom inquired with worry on her face.

Imani pushed between the two ladies who moved aside for her and then followed as she staggered over to the kitchen. Her hands reached for the tap, washing her hands with the warm water.

"I could not sleep throughout yesterday," she explained. "I almost had a panic attack."

"A what?!" Zuri yelled, earning a light slap across the arm from Chisom.

"Don't shout na, just calm down," she said, admonishing Zuri before turning towards Imani. "What happened that led to that? I mean, it is alright if you don't want to tell me."

Shrugging, Imani could only reply, "a bad dream. I'm fine now."

"Fine?" Zuri questioned incredulously. "Imani, it has been long since-," she stopped herself in time when she realized that they were not alone.

That earned an eye roll from Imani who just bit back, "'I am fine' is 'I am fine', okay? I'd talk to you if anything is wrong."

With that, Imani was already out of the kitchen space and now on the way to her room. Chisom and Zuri recoiled at the sound of the door slamming on its hinges.

"I am sure she will be fine, Zuri. She's just a bit shaken up," Chisom smiled, attempting to console the latter.

That earned her a nod as Zuri hoped within her heart that her sister was only "just a bit shaken up."

a/n: it has been a while since I last updated, and I sorely apologize for this

a/n: it has been a while since I last updated, and I sorely apologize for this. I am a university student, and this is the end of the semester for me and with that comes preparation for my finals and yeah. I hope to update more chapters however and thanks for reading.

 I hope to update more chapters however and thanks for reading