sixteen

chapter sixteen

"New Year's Eve," Lucas started as he undid the first two buttons of his black long-sleeved shirt

"New Year's Eve," Lucas started as he undid the first two buttons of his black long-sleeved shirt. "Always my most favorite time of the year."

Then he paused again before backtracking, "actually, it is my fifth most favorite time of the year."

Ares, at the far end of the corner, paid him no mind. His face was fixed into a scowl as he let his eyes sweep through the growing crowd of clients downstairs, all elated for the imminent end of the year.

He should be at home, dealing with issues pertaining to the clan. He should be at his study with his brothers, Lucas included, but instead here he was on the top floor of Amaryllis and in Lucas' office to observe another stupid human ritual.

"You know, it would do you a lot of good if you stopped looking down with a resting bitch face, Ar," Lucas broke through his thoughts, making Ares roll his eyes subtly. "Maybe your little girlfriend would be here too."

Girlfriend? They hadn't even met.

"...and maybe her twin would be here."

Lucas had muttered that, but that did not escape Ares' ears as he turned to look at his older brother who now shrugged off his jacket. What was he playing at?

"What about her twin?"

"Uh?" Lucas' head was up, his fingers nimbly undoing the cuffs of his shirt. "What twin?"

Deflection, as usual, was the thought in Ares' head as he realized that Lucas was hiding something from him.

"We will talk about it when we get home," was what he said instead and he got a curt nod in response as Lucas was now out the door.

Being all by himself now, he turned his attention back to the window, showing the clientele on the lower floor, about to get wasted just in time for the New Year.

Good thing the New Year is a public holiday, he snorted and his breath was caught in a hitch when his eyes fell upon her.

So, she was back again and with her twin and her friends, especially that light skinned man. Just the sight of him had an enraged visceral reaction bubble up in Ares' gut.

Why did the sight of his soulmate holding another male, that wasn't him, make him seethe with a rage so great? He was not even sure if he wanted her to be his mate yet this bout of possessiveness had him in a chokehold.

Her holding the human male by the arm didn't not help matters and the way she looked at him so intimately had him fuming.

Fuck, he frowned. What is wrong with me?

Without thinking, he was up on his feet. Maybe he should blend in with these humans, as much as he hated it. He snorted at the thought of putting up with the pesky humans trying to strike up a conversation with him.