fourteen

chapter fourteen

It was centuries since he lost his parents, yet the memory was fresh in his mind as if it was one of Irina's recently baked breads

It was centuries since he lost his parents, yet the memory was fresh in his mind as if it was one of Irina's recently baked breads. First, his dreams had started off on a light note with him seeing his soulmate in the VIP section of Amaryllis and then, it went down that dark path, resurrecting a memory he thought he had locked up within the deepest depths of his mind a long time ago.

Ares was back at the shed he considered refuge, his back was against the cold wall while he sat on the bed, staring blankly into the darkness. It has been a long time since he would ever have a dream of that event.

Just as he had called it, the Hunters were behind the fire at the manor. The place where every vampire had considered their home until those bastards had arrived in the middle of the night to set the place ablaze. No thanks to none other than Heidi Müller.

Lucas had gotten involved with Heidi Müller, the daughter of Anton Müller, the head of Die Vampirjäger. They were a group of wannabe hunters who wanted them dead for simply existing and German immigrants in case the uncreative appellation they gifted themselves was not obvious.

Learning about Heidi's betrayal brought Lucas to tears with him blaming himself for being the indirect cause of their parents' deaths. Ares could not blame him. The Stavros had made the mistake of trusting a human, especially one who was related to the Hunters, but they had welcomed her with Lucas going as far to invite her into their homes for Christmas.

While Lucas had shed tears after confronting Heidi, Ares stewed in his vengeance, refusing to have the burn mark on his scapula treated or healed. Let it be, I need this to fuel my anger, he had said to Hermes.

And true to his words, he had gotten his lick back, his white shirt dripping with the blood of every Hunter and their family. And he made sure the Müller family were the last to be eliminated.

In his revenge-crazed mind, he gave no thought to whether they were involved in starting the fire; neither did he care if the blood staining the white of his shirt belonged to their innocent children, all he cared about was vengeance.

Just like your namesake, blindly starting shit without thinking twice about the consequences. He did not care back then in his bloodthirst but looking back now, the guilt and regret hit him harder than Ilya would during one of their spars. He had killed innocent children and his rampage of vengeance had left him feeling even more hollow. Πατέρας and Mamă were still dead - they were probably looking down from Heaven at him, shaking their heads at him.

The thick smell of blood still assaulted his nostrils as high-pitched screams that were enough to pierce his ear drums filled the air. Carnage littered the scene as he finally topped it off by burning down every home of the Hunters.

After his head was clear from the bloodlust, he as well as a council made up of vampires who had survived the inferno made the decision to go under the covers like other clans had.