CHAPTER-7: The Classic Literature Club

AGRIM SHARMA'S POV:
April 20th, 2017

"They say high school is all sunshine and roses- sunshine, roses, rainbows, and unicorns. I've heard so much about the bliss and excitement of being a high school student that I've written it off as a worn-out cliché. Who's to say that every teenager wants high school to be a fairy tale fever dream? It seems ridiculous to me. Take all the studying, the sports, and the romantic affairs- there are a lot of people who show no interest in that kind of nonsense, right? Well, I guess when you rule out all that crap, there's not much left, is there?" Oreki asked.

"Wow, Hotarou. I didn't know you were such a full-fledged pessimist." I said with a hand on my cheek and a smirk on my face.

"Wait, pessimist?"

"Why do you have a problem with studying, sports and romance? You know, the things normal kids enjoy. You make it sound so dismal."

"That's not what I said. You misunderstood me."

"I'm just telling you what I heard." I said, waving my arm around. "Maybe you're just lazy- have you thought of that?"

"Huh."

"In the past six months I've known you- anytime you think something's a hassle or seems like it might be frivolous, you refuse to do it, which explains- your motto." Agrim said, pointing at Oreki.

"If I don't have to, I'm not going to." Oreki said lazily. "If I have to, I'll do it as quickly as possible."

Maybe I should take a book out of your page. Wait- that's not right...

"That's the one. But, you know? Not joining any of the clubs here at Advanced Nurturing High, you've made a little black cloud appear above your head."

"Oh, yeah? What club are you in, then?"

"I'm still thinking about it. There's a lot to choose from." I smirked. "You might think you're slick, but you're only punishing yourself."

"You sure like to run your mouth, huh...?"

"And you just noticed? We've basically hung out every single day for the past six months."

"Whatever, go join whatever club you were gonna join." He said, before taking out a piece of paper.

After examining it closely, I noticed it was a club application form.

"No way... Classic lit? Since when are you in classic lit?" I asked him.

He lazily took out another paper, but this time it was an envelope.

"What's that- What does a letter from your sister have to do with anything?"

"She sent it to me from India, some place in the north called Varanasi."

"Oh, yeah?" I took the letter from his hand and read its contents. "I see... Your sister's blackmailing you."

"They're threatening to close down the club because of lack of members. She asked me to join to help keep the club alive."

"But I thought your sister was more into martial arts?"

"Aikido, actually- which is worse. If she wants to hurt you, she knows just how to do it."

Me too...

"Hah! Then you should do as she says."

"Well, it's not like I have anything better to do... And believe me, I've tried to think of an excuse."

"So the club doesn't have any members?"

"Nope."

"Well, look on the bright side- you'll have the clubroom all to yourself. It'll be like having your own private space on school grounds. Sounds like a dream, doesn't it?"