1

Nova " Midnight " Star

"Mommy when we gonna eat ?" My little sister, Jaylani,(on the left) asked playing with her toy dolls that I have given her last Christmas. Her twin, Leydiana, (on the right) took the toy out her hands.

"Aye, Leydiana, what did I tell you about sharing ?" I asked, sternly giving her my famous stare. She rolled her eyes.

"Sharing is caring." Shee mumbled, giving the toy back to Jaylani. I fake smiled and picked her up, spinning her around. She laughed before I put her down.

"Mommy when we get to eat ?" Jaylani repeated.

"Mommy, did you hear me ?" Jaylani asked, standing infront of me as I sat down in the old rusty couch. I nodded my head.

"When ?"

I had to turn away from her, with tears developing in my eyes. I don't have job anymore because of my egg donor.

Flashback

I was working in the front of Hank's Supermarket as a cashier yesterday. Everything was going great until she showed up.

"How you d-doing sweetheart ?" She asked, shaking and looking around nervously. I could tell she was on the drugs again but I wouldn't say a word.

"Fine Ma. Just go home and get cleaned up." I whispered at the end to make no of the nosy people around me listen. She sucked her teeth and shoved me. I gave her a look like she lost her mind.

"Bitch don't look at me like that, now get up and give me some money." She barked, holding her left hand out. By this time everyone's attention was on me. I gulped nervously as their eyes burned a hole in my skin.

"Ma, don't do this." I begged as tears slowly filled in my eyes. I couldn't lose this job. This is all we had. All of it. She pushed me away and jumped over the counter as my head hit the back of the station. I stood up and I watched her run away, scratching at her skin with the money in her hand.Hank's son, Jackson, saw the whole thing and told Mr. Hank on me. Jackson never liked me since the first day I started working there. Every time we do little training sessions, he would always call me out. Hank came by and fussed me but tried to give me another chance. Jackson cut him off,lying that I tried to have sex with him for money. Hank politely told me that he has to fire me. I gave him my apron and ran out. Now what am I gonna do ?

Flashback Over

"C'mon, let's go to McDonald's." I said, getting off the couch. Jaylani and Leydiana put their toys up as I walked to the door. We all put on our shoes and headed for the door. I opened the door and was immediately disgusted. My "mother" was making out with one man and a couple others were watching, smiling. My mother pulled away and looked at us.

"Go now." I said, pushing the girls ahead of me. I pushed them ahead of me as I walked through the dirty, old men. One of them was bold enough to grab my arm.

"You just like ya momma, aint you ?"

I angrily twisted his arm and put his hand between his shoulder blades, shoving him into the ground. I just simply turned away and walked back up to the girls. Leydiana looked up and smiled at me.

"Can you teach me that ?"

"Maybe."

The rest of the way to McDonald's was just talking about school and their friends. We walked in and waited to order. Once we got up to the front, the cashier was a woman.

"Welcome to McDonald's, let me take your order." She stated with boredom in her voice. I know it has been a long day but at least cheer up, today is Sunday and tomorrow is paycheck day.