x - The Email

Buzz buzz... goes my phone as I get an email. I sigh as I read the name of the sender: Marie Moshiin, aka my mother. What does she want now? Hasn't she had enough fun torturing needlessly? Like the good daughter I am, I check it anyway. The message is blank. But, there is an attachment.

What random religious article did she forward to me this time? I open the file with apprehension. It's a document. Hmm...that's weird. This letter is addressed to my mother. I wonder why she sent this to me... After reading it, I have to catch myself.

"Dear Mrs. Moshiin,

We've finally received the lab results from your husband's exam. I'm sorry to inform you that Mr. Gary Moshiin has pancreatic cancer. He will have to receive chemotherapy treatment. However, we'll work hard at tackling this head on. Also, we saw little specks in the images that are concerning to us. We fear that potentially the cancer has started spreading. As far as life expectancy goes, it could be a year, six months, maybe less or more. It really depends on how Gary's body responds to the chemo. Like I mentioned to you on the last visit, it's simply too soon to tell. But, it's imperative that we get the treatment started right away. The longer we put it off, the quicker the rate of fatality increases.

Dr. Aaron Choi."

After I came out of my initial shock, I call mom back. She answers, but I can tell the tone of this call will be different. It's obvious that she'd been crying since we spoke last. She sniffles twice before saying in a quiet, somber voice: "Do you get it now, Jaen?"

Then, the line goes ghastly quiet. With that, my Sunday is no longer a fun day.