Safe

Leo's POV 

I had to admit I was feeling giddy this morning. 

It might've been because of a certain freckled curly haired blonde who would probably explode into stardust if I told him how much I liked him. I wasn't used to having a boyfriend who actually cared about me. Will was weird like that. I've had my fine share of one sided relationships. Falling for people who take advantage of me was my specialty. 

That wasn't Will, though. 

He always goes out of his way to make me feel good. And, of course, he's obsessed with my safety. It was weird having him coddle me so extensively at first, but I grew to like the attention. So much so, that I wanted to give him something to say thank you.

As I was walking towards the infirmary after breakfast, I fished the bracelet out of my pocket. It was a thin cuff that I made from some scrap imperial gold. Melting that shit down nearly killed me, but looking at it now, it was worth it. I engraved his name in the best handwriting I could muster with a sun doodle under it. I hoped to the gods that he liked it.

Once I reached the infirmary I saw him lounging on the porch on one of the benches.

"C'mon," he patted an empty spot next to him. "Let's take a look at you".

"Are you gonna play doctor the whole time you have me, Sunny?"

Will rolled his eyes.

"I told you to stop calling me that" His accent always became a little more apparent when he was annoyed. That's probably why I love pissing him off so much.

"Aw come on you know you love it" I sat next to him and he turned his body towards me to inspect my injury.

"So tell me what really happened, Leo". he took my face in his hands, his face laced with concern. I instantly felt like kind of an ass for making fun of him.

"Oh you know, said something stupid to the wrong person again" I tried to laugh the issue away. "I mean at this point what did you expect?"

Will's eyes met mine, and they were so bright and intense I nearly flinched. He sighed.

"You're right. I don't know why I expect you to listen to me" He dropped his hands from my face, and I shivered at the lack of contact. I took his hands in mine.

"Ok, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm trying, I promise". Even as head counselor of the Hephaestus cabin, I've seen my fair share of bullies in camp half blood. The only problem was that if you shit talked the kids around here, they might actually try to kill you.

"But I'm okay, seriously" I squeezed Will's hands to get him to look at me again. "I've been through worse".

Will's frowned lessened a bit.

"If you come to me about one more injury, I'm going to kill you myself"

I smiled. I got him.

"Is that a challenge, William?" I teased, wrapping my arms around his neck. Will laughed a bit. Success!

"It never is, Leo," he said, and then he kissed me. It was just a peck but a kiss nonetheless. Maybe one day I'll be able to break down his modesty.

Will was the first person from camp half blood that I actually got to know. He gave me a tour and would check on how I was doing every so often. He was especially around after we got back from our first quest. I guess being the head mechanic of a giant warship that's copiloted by a celestial bronze dragon has its dangers. 

I couldn't really get a read on him at first. Why he was so concerned about my well being was a mystery to me. I didn't mind his company though. He brought me snacks and helped me destress when everything became a little too much. I was fine with the relationship we had built, but then it all changed.

He came to Bunker 9 as usual while I was working on blueprints. Only this time he was practically pulling his hair out from stress. Apparently preparing for a war puts a lot of people in the infirmary. I always thought it was strange how Will was the most competent doctor on campus, being only 15. I could only imagine the level of stress he was under.

"I'm losing my mind here, Leo" he was rubbing at his face so much that his skin looked raw and red. 

"Hey man, chill out. Take a load off" I gestured to the couch next to my desk.

I guess what I said didn't help, because then he started yelling at me.

"I can't just take a load off!" he shouted, shoving his hands in my face to do finger quotes.

"You have know idea how exhausting it is to be the only one in the entire camp who can sew limbs back together, reset broken bones, clean infections, and on and on and on!" His arms were flailing around his head.

"It never ends! No matter what I do, I can't keep anyone safe". His voice started breaking as he ran his hands through his hair wildly. 

Before I knew what I was doing, I walked up to him and hugged him. I always had a hard time reading other people's emotions. It's probably why I'm so good at making enemies. But a hug never seemed to be a bad way to provide comfort. And I figured Will needed it.

I was right. He hugged me back and dipped his head into my shoulder. Will is taller than me, so I found my face buried in his chest, and I could hear his heart pumping ferociously. I rubbed his back a little and I felt his body slump into a long sigh. 

"You're pretty good at keeping me safe" I mumbled. Will let out a hoarse chuckle.

"Thank you, Leo".

We stood there hugging for a few more seconds, and it might've been the most awkward, warm, exciting and scary seconds of my life. Will was the one to pull away first, and he looked down at me, his arms still around my waist. I became hyper aware of those freckled arms holding me. He stared at me and I couldn't read his face. A mix of sadness, anger, confusion? Before I could crack a bad joke to uproot the silence between us, he kissed me.

It was unexpected and deep and our teeth clashed a bit in the beginning. I stumbled and bumped into the desk behind me. Will held on to me tighter, and kissed me even deeper. I couldn't believe his lips were on mine. The feeling was overwhelming and I felt as if I was melting inside his arms. I tried my best to kiss him back but I could barely breathe. My face grew hotter and hotter and hotter.

Suddenly, Will pulled away, cursing under his breath. I realized that I had overheated, and nearly burnt Will's mouth.

"Aw jeez, I'm so sorry!" I gasped after collecting myself. Will looked up, his lips were a little red, but otherwise unharmed. He smiled.

"It's okay, I'm okay," he said, raising his hands up to my face. His eyes were lidded, his cheeks bright red.

"Are you okay?" he whispered, pushing some hair out my face. I nodded eagerly, unable to form a single word with my mouth.

"Maybe we should start over. '' Will cleared his throat and backed away from me slightly. I wanted nothing more than to be back in his arms. I wanted to feel overheated again.

"Maybe over a lunch date tomorrow?" Will smiled brightly. "My treat."

Author Note: The WillxLeo story line won't leave my headd i needed to do this lmao. anyone guess what leo's love language is?